• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New from Calgary

RRSpeed92

I'm in the stages of building a waste oil furnace with the goal being to melt cast-iron. I'm following the 'Artful Bodger' design (bought his book w/plans). http://www.artfulbodgermetalcasting.com

I sourced my refractories from 'refractories west' http://www.refwest.com who are based out of Colorado. You can buy it by the bag there, no minimum. Shipping to Calgary was stupid (~600) so I shipped to the border (about 100 USD for 3 bags) and picked it up. I didn't have any reasonable luck sourcing 3000 degree refractory in this province. When you ask for 3 or 4 bags, people just blink at you. There were a couple of places in Edmonton who would have considered it, but i seemed to be more of a bother. 15 years ago, when I build my first furnace, I went down to Clayburn Refractories in the NE (I think they are defunct now) and a guy gave me 3 bags off a service truck for 40 bucks. The good 'ol days......

I am still amassing material for my build, the shell will be a 60 gallon air compressor tank I picked up at auction for 20 bucks. I got two at that price, not intending to use them for air -- but to provide a touch rigid shell for projects like this.
Have you built the burner for it yet? Do you have any drawings or anything of your final goal?

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have t started that phase yet. The burner design in the book is interesting , classic gravity feed and air feed to atomize oil. . There is a lot of verbiage on pre-burn / pre-heat , seems you also use a propane burner to get stove to temp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk