• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Donald Mearns

Hi,
Just received my CX601 from Busy Bee. I live in Nunavut so it’s been a long wait for it to make it here on sealift.
After carefully setting it up in a purpose built extension to my shop I was hugely disappointed that it would not run. I ran all the checks as per the troubleshooting advice in the manual and still no success.
I’m waiting now to hear back for Busy Bee but would like to know if anyone has had similar experiences and if they had a resolution to the problems.
I am so disappointed as the build up has been so long, this was bought back in June and the wait had built so much expectation.
Hope to hear from others
Don.

Donald Mearns

Frustrating! I think Blondihacks on Youtube has the PrecisionMatthrews version of that mill. Her machine failed in use but perhaps the trouble-shooting steps she followed might help?

Craig
Hi Craig,
I wish she was here! An electrical engineer is what I need! I saw her work on a power feed and her comments were very interesting on the shortcuts taken with the electrics. I still have to hear back from Busy Bee on their solution but I’m thinking it will be replacing it with the same questionable election system.
I’m now off to watch this and see what I can figure out! Thanks so much for the info and reply!
All the best,
Don.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Man that sucks, I hope it turns out to be just a loose terminal or something, and not like a motor control board (they are brushless correct ?)

Donald Mearns

Looks like it has brushes…
The Blondie Hacks video was very informative so I’m not too worried about a solution, just need some parts!

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
No issues with mine, but it was bought used. If you need anything checked on a working one let me know.

I'd look at the splash guard/door thingy on the spindle first...it's very fussy on positioning. Otherwise, it's set direction, hit go, turn up rpm.

Donald Mearns

Hi,
Update Busy Bee got back to me very quickly and a new mother board is on its way. Possibly was fried due to static during shipping.
Will keep you posted on how it goes and possible a wee you tube video on the experience.
Many thanks for the support here, due to my OCD nature it’s what I need to help my mind not run overtime!
Cheers Don.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
When mine stopped It was the fuse holder after a lot of head scratching I’d try the splash guard switch as mentioned above.

That was kind of my point questioning the static. I'd be checking all the other obvious things before I got to replacing the MotherBoard.

These are exactly the kind of things I'd be checking first. That also why I asked about lights and stuff.

Donald Mearns

That was kind of my point questioning the static. I'd be checking all the other obvious things before I got to replacing the MotherBoard.

These are exactly the kind of things I'd be checking first. That also why I asked about lights and stuff.
Yeah have done alI the basics, and the fuses were the first along with splash guard and all connections. No lights nothing. Even if the display glimmered it would be something. Will keep this posted.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah have done alI the basics, and the fuses were the first along with splash guard and all connections. No lights nothing. Even if the display glimmered it would be something. Will keep this posted.

OK. I will download the manual and wiring diagram if I can find it and try to help where I can. It's bad enough trying to fix things without the added grief of not being able to access any kind of additional help locally for hundreds of miles. Maybe between you and all the members on here you can get it going.

Can I ask a basic question? What is the mill motor's operating voltage and what do you measure on the input connections to the mill?

Also, what is your source of power there and how clean is it - electrical noise, voltage consistency, etc. ?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I downloaded and scanned the manual.

I see now why they suspect the "mother board". It really isn't a mother board. There are really only two boards in there. A filter board and a speed control board. I assume they mean the speed control board.

But that leaves me wondering why you don't get any other indications from the machine. So I'm still suspicious that your problem is more basic.

More investigation on my part will have to wait a while. We had to postpone our family thanksgiving because of Covid. So tomorrow is the big day and my bride has a million priorities for me that I don't get to vote on or even question. That includes some biggies like hooking up a toilet, a sink, and a new kitchen light she acquired. So it will be a while before I can fully engage again.

Thankfully, I am only one of many on here. Some of whom are way more experienced.

In the meantime, I would go through that panel box from one end to the other checking every single connection one at a time. Loosen all the screws and re-tighten them one at a time. Not everyone would agree with me, but in my experience the majority of electrical problems are connections. Connections connections connections.

Given your location, and the shipping experience that machine has probably had, a bad connection has VERY HIGH likelihood. Frankly, way more likely than static! But that's only my opinion.

The other aspect of connections that shouldn't be ignored is corrosion. If that mill came by boat it's not unlikely that some salty air got at it during the trip. That's yet another reason to loosen and retighten all the connections.

Last edited:

Donald Mearns

Okay,
I’m going to pull that all apart and go for some more detailed check. Get the meter on it and see what I’d going on.
Having pulled the fuses, I see from many folks that the actual holders are dodgy. My experience with most electrics is as you say connections, connections, connections. (That and poor grounds).
Speed control board is where they (BB) seem to feel the fault lies. It seemed to come as no surprise. I’m interested that over most of the posts I see on this subject that it seems to be an outstanding fault/weakness of these type of mills. I’ve also not been able to find a source of a more robust option, though financially the option of the warranty is attractive.
I have a friend in Rankin Inlet who has been through several boards and bits so I knew it was coming but surprised it was before I started
Have fun with the delayed Thanksgiving!
Cheers
Donald

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Okay,
I’m going to pull that all apart and go for some more detailed check. Get the meter on it and see what I’d going on.
Having pulled the fuses, I see from many folks that the actual holders are dodgy. My experience with most electrics is as you say connections, connections, connections. (That and poor grounds).
Speed control board is where they (BB) seem to feel the fault lies. It seemed to come as no surprise. I’m interested that over most of the posts I see on this subject that it seems to be an outstanding fault/weakness of these type of mills. I’ve also not been able to find a source of a more robust option, though financially the option of the warranty is attractive.
I have a friend in Rankin Inlet who has been through several boards and bits so I knew it was coming but surprised it was before I started
Have fun with the delayed Thanksgiving!
Cheers
Donald
I believe the speed control board in my lathe is a USA made mc-60 (I think) and from what I understand they are pretty reliable.