• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New addition

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was lucky enough to be first in line for this Standard Modern 10 utilathe off of kijiji as I drove out to see it in my mind I was saying you don't need another lathe, you have to dig the trailer out of the snow, its cold etc, but once I had a look it was over. The guy was into motorcycles so he had a lathe and a mill, they were moving to Calgary so was selling off the big stuff the mill was sold already. His shop was spotless as a 76 year old mans should be so I didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb he said the ways were good and I took him at word, I asked if he had many calls he said yea lots of offers so I said not much sense in making and offer he said go ahead, so I went 2400, 100 less than asking and he accepted said I communicated clearly showed up on time, and the less hassle was well worth it..
I brought my engine hoist as it needed to be moved under a steel beam with a hoist for final loading on the trailer, and sorry no pics I was very focused, we got the lathe off the stand and over to the beam and up onto the trailer, repeat with the stand easy peasy, dismantle the hoist load everything up and off home beating the snow. Very stoked came with a 4 jaw chuck live center a few other things the serial is U574, he also gave me a pail of oil for the gearcase so free oil changes too. I am excited to get it disassembled and bring it downstairs but that will have to be another day enough excitement for today.
standard modern.jpg IMG_5566.JPG IMG_5567.JPG IMG_5573.JPG
IMG_5569.JPG

Last edited:

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Woo Hoo!! I have U 530! So close!! Have to see if we can crack a date code with you being U 574. Congratulations!!!

If the motor is original post the name plate ….interesting!!

The motor was replaced @Brent H with a similar single phase farm duty motor as yours, he ran it at 110 but I will probably try it at 220 cause I have it. The name plate was original showing a 3/4 3 phase motor as original.
One question is mine has 6 inch chucks were as my bb had 5 inch and both are considered 10 inch? the sizing seems confusing with 9,10,11 and 13 inch models that appear very similar, I will have to read more. Also noticed a #6 stenciled on the the tailstock end so maybe it was from a school at some point.
I am preparing to get everything downstairs have started a bit on disassembly, hoping to get the apron off and the headstock should get me closer to manageable weights.

IMG_5572.JPG IMG_5578.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
One question is mine has 6 inch chucks were as my bb had 5 inch and both are considered 10 inch? the sizing seems confusing with 9,10,11 and 13 inch models that appear very similar,
I'm guessing 9",10" etc. its conventional 'swing' nomenclature? Which is the maximum diameter of part or faceplate which can be accommodated based mostly on spindle height & lesser to bed way gap. For example my 14x40 lathe can accommodate 14" diameter (with the gap section removed) but 6-8" chuck body OD is quite common for this size.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
One question is mine has 6 inch chucks were as my bb had 5 inch and both are considered 10 inch? the sizing seems confusing with 9,10,11 and 13 inch models that appear very similar, I will have to read more. Also noticed a #6 stenciled on the the tailstock end so maybe it was from a school at some point.

I agree with @PeterT. To expand a bit on his comments, the size of a lathe is usually specified by the swing (the diameter of the largest part that can be turned) and the bed (the maximum length of a part mounted between centers).

Chucks are specified by their diameter, number of jaws, type, and mounting system.

A lathe with a given swing can handle many different chucks with a wide variety of diameters. So measuring the chuck does not define the lathe size.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@combustable herbage : good information. My U530
(Mr Imperial) came with an original 1 Hp motor. Miss Metric with a 3/4.
As a “10” Utilathe it actually has closer (equal to) an 11” swing. In the early years of the transition the 10-12 just went to the 11-13 series 1000 Utilathe.

I had little issue cutting a 10” face plate.