• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Need a tool and die maker

Robzee

Making a ton of these these days. A hydraulic rolling mill is now a necessity.

Attachments

• 20211010_103317.jpg
    20211010_103317.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 5

Robzee

If you are pressing hundreds to low thousands 4140 is just fine. To press millions, they use A6 and D2 or even longer wearing steels.
Thank you for that. Noted! Hundreds to low thousands here, millions, now that's a lofty goal but one day

Robzee

If you are pressing hundreds to low thousands 4140 is just fine. To press millions, they use A6 and D2 or even longer wearing steels.
Could you, or anyone else, advise me on what press and pressure would be needed to press say a 10 oz silver bar? I'd pour a 10oz bar like the bottom left in the attached image here, and press the design into it with a set of made dies, that ill need made if anyone knows anyone.

Attachments

• 20210823_224733.jpg
    20210823_224733.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 6

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My experience with silver sheet is that you want to get the lowest nickle content possible. The silver I used to use had high enough nickle to cause it to be very hard - the cutting with a jewelers' saw was very slow going.

Even pure silver requires pretty high pressures to be ductile. For any diameter of coin, the press requirement goes up with the square, naturally, but for hardness of material the press requirement goes up exponentially as well.

Now to answer your question. If you are just stamping the letters, then the pressure required is the Volume of the indent, with a factor for the square area of that image, times a constant. So if you have a logo like the one pictured, then it gets very high quickly.

Have you considered a striking die to be used just after is sets up, say at 800 F? This does not require a press or even a fancy alloy, even cold rolled will do...

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Making a ton of these these days. A hydraulic rolling mill is now a necessity.

Cool items! You asked about steels - Dabbler knows more. Rio grande online is where my spouse gets her silver sheet. Good prices and pristine sheet. They also have Pepe tools rolling mills if you know them. They are nice but not hydraulic.

Look for a book in homemade jewellery press 20 ton. I can’t remember the title but it’s a good project and is a useful tool might be good for you.