• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Need a tool and die maker

Robzee

Hjj in hi, I am looking for a local Calgary connection to make me some stamps and dies. I pour silver bars and rounds etc but need some stamps made such as a “999fs” and a “ozt”. I am also starting work on a line of coins and I’d need dies for each side to be used in a press. Anyone able to offer up some pricing to me. Thanks in advance.

Chip Maker

Super User
http://argontool.com/

I'm not seeing the image. Are the letters in a straight line or radial? Check out this website. Argon supplies off the shelf letter stamps and holders for the metal stamping industry.

Last edited:

Robzee

Images here

Attachments

• EFC13F27-FF67-46D4-8A8A-0B8E8C5BC1AA.jpeg
    EFC13F27-FF67-46D4-8A8A-0B8E8C5BC1AA.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 7B3A11C1-D99E-4A85-9224-8B3780E122AD.jpeg
    7B3A11C1-D99E-4A85-9224-8B3780E122AD.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 18

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm just a hobbyist, not qualified on tool & die matters so just treat this as an idea. Maybe if the tool is confined to embossing on softer alloys like silver or copper, maybe you could get the designs laser etched so for example the black area etched 0.020" lower than the remaining white. If this was done in common O1 tool steel, its small enough that you could use ordinary torch to heat to red, quench in oil & temper in your oven to achieve typical tool steel RN hardness. What I don't know is if lasering can remove a specific thickness over an area like this, or if lasering has any heat effect on the part itself that ight adversely affect heat treating. But they could answer those questions.

Are you pressing these into the coin blanks with a press or something?

Robzee

I'm just a hobbyist, not qualified on tool & die matters so just treat this as an idea. Maybe if the tool is confined to embossing on softer alloys like silver or copper, maybe you could get the designs laser etched so for example the black area etched 0.020" lower than the remaining white. If this was done in common O1 tool steel, its small enough that you could use ordinary torch to heat to red, quench in oil & temper in your oven to achieve typical tool steel RN hardness. What I don't know is if lasering can remove a specific thickness over an area like this, or if lasering has any heat effect on the part itself that ight adversely affect heat treating. But they could answer those questions.

Are you pressing these into the coin blanks with a press or something?
That is the plan Peter, press into blanks. I hadn’t thought of making my own tools that’s for sure. That’s much above my pay grade but you make it sound simple. I’ll check into lazer and see if I can get to a solution. Thanks.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just as example I grabbed your image, brought into background, did a rough click trace (just the perimeter & the teepee), extruded area... just to show the kind of end result that maybe a laser etcher could do from a cad file. So if this was the chunk of tool steel you received, 'just' a matter of hardening it.

Attachments

• SNAG-1-7-2021 0001.jpg
    SNAG-1-7-2021 0001.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 4
  • SNAG-1-7-2021 0002.jpg
    SNAG-1-7-2021 0002.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 5
  • SNAG-1-7-2021 0003.jpg
    SNAG-1-7-2021 0003.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 6

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just don't know how deep they can go, but this was the basic concept. (Google laser etching, laser engraving etc)

Attachments

• SNAG-1-7-2021 0004.jpg
    SNAG-1-7-2021 0004.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 4

Robzee

I think you put in the legwork I wish I could have today! Thank you! I think I may have to try this method out my friend. Much appreciated.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No problem. What you might want to get a handle on, if you haven't already, is how much 'step' the raised part should be in order to impart the impression you are after. If there is a way to simulate it with something simple like with a range of feeler gages or something. But it may well vary on your specific design too because (I'm guessing here) you have X amount of downforce from your press, but it gets applied to whatever the the embossing area is. If embossing area is small area, die should penetrate deeper, if its large area may only go shallow & max out. Maybe err on the deeper etch depth as you could always shave some raised portion off, but not the other way around.

Just a weird coincidence I was looking at rolling mills like what jewelers use to curve shapes (and also apparently emboss patterns). Not that I want to buy one but just curious the principles of of how the rollers are set up & how the squeeze is applied. They look pretty beefy to me so forces are probably not small.

Attachments

• SNAG-1-7-2021 0005.jpg
    SNAG-1-7-2021 0005.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 7
  • SNAG-1-7-2021 0006.jpg
    SNAG-1-7-2021 0006.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 7
  • SNAG-1-7-2021 0007.jpg
    SNAG-1-7-2021 0007.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 7

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm trying to think back the last time I saw one of those machines like at carnivals. You put in a coin & it rolls a design on it. Or did they just flatten them into an ellipse? I don't even remember anymore. We used the train tracks when I was a kid haha

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Those machines are still pretty common at tourist traps in the states. My spouse likes collecting them.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
How long till the only coins left are the ones for collectors? In Canada I think that will be soon.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's a great link, John. I'm going to have to read & watch in bite size pieces. Its kind of like taking Lego molds for granted.
I keep hearing the metal in coins is low value. That might be true, but judging by the process, the labor must be a chunk of the intrinsic cost.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Robzee how will you make coins? In the article they talk about having a 160 ton press to make the bigger coins. What steel type do you want to use for the dies? Can 4140 be used for coin dies with heat treat hardening? The article suggests die steels are: "either A9, 52-100 or L6 steel is used"

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
If you are pressing hundreds to low thousands 4140 is just fine. To press millions, they use A6 and D2 or even longer wearing steels.

laurencern

go find a local engraving shop that has cnc engraver, they can take a steel bar and engrave the outside away to leave lettering proud, use a decent steel and if needed you can harden it

Robzee

Robzee how will you make coins? In the article they talk about having a 160 ton press to make the bigger coins. What steel type do you want to use for the dies? Can 4140 be used for coin dies with heat treat hardening? The article suggests die steels are: "either A9, 52-100 or L6 steel is used"

Man I lost access to this whole place for months!! ! Thank you for all the responses, could we discuss on the phone? I am not, I repeat not, knowledgeable about tool steels and the rest of it. I'm here looking for your expertise. I just posted another thread about a rolling mill I need to get my hands on, or trying to find silver sheet in 20 guage. I'm still planning to do these coins, but right now I need sheet bad!!