• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Need a good source for a Dovetail Cutter

Tool

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Looking for a . . . 2” Dia x 45 deg. I have 1/2” and 5/8” R8 collets, As well as 10 and 16mm sizes.
I have went looked thru the Chinese Products on Aliexpress & Amazon, but, they tend to leave the shank dimensions out of the description.

Any experiences or recommendations to share ?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Isn't this the shank diameter?
*** oops sorry, replying to wrong person... I think thats what you are saying as well ***

1709403217951.png

LenVW

Premium Member
The smaller overall diameter cutters seem to have a ‘reduced’ shank diameter just above the cutting faces. Looks to be a weak area of the shank, especially for dovetail cutters.
I was hoping to stick with a minimum 16mm shank, straight to the cutter faces.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Can I ask why 2" diameter? Usually the bulk of material is milled out conventionally with a straight EM & only the remaining angled sides are milled as a secondary operation with smaller cutters. That's easier on the dovetail cutter loading & those cutters can also do narrower dovetail slots. I think the neck-down (relief) is to get a clean cutting edge for the entire angled surface & accommodate narrower dovetails?
I've seen big diameter dovetail cutters but usually with carbide inserts (big $$).

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Make your own indexable holder. and show us pictures. I made something similar... but 45 chamfer.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Did you show us this John?
hmm not sure. The slot for the triangle has straight sides. Ideally I think they should match the slope of the insert. Works fine though. I ordered one of these from MZG and then got impatient. So now I have a factory one and my verision..

1709405106433.png 1709405236224.png

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
I agree with PeterT. The narrow shank is needed to achieve the correct clearances. But also the length of the neck is important. The Aliexpress cutter shown above has a short neck which means the depth of the upper corner of the dovetail slot is limited, and would be quite close to the top surface. A longer neck allows the dovetail to be cut deeper in the material.

This cutter from Toolmex works very well in cast iron and 1018, cost about $45. Larger ones get exponentially more expensive. An indexable cutter is also very good option.

Attachments

• IMG_4382.jpg
    IMG_4382.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 2

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
you can see my version has straight surfaces to hold the index but the commercial one has angled sides, and also it has a sloping bed to reduce the cutting angle. Looking at mine more closely I see there is a small gap between the side of the index and the holder. I made this four years ago - I hope I can do better now.

Last edited:

LenVW

Premium Member
I know the reduced shank diameter is for clearance, but, a lot of these Chinese products seem to reduce it to the point of weakening the tool.

@Janger . . . I like your straight shank. no stress concentration with it.
I may attempt that pocket machining in CR Bar.
Note:
The last carbide insert ‘pocket’ I machined was about 35 years ago on an Ex-Cell-O 602 mill.