Tool Need a good source for a Dovetail Cutter

Tool

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Looking for a . . . 2” Dia x 45 deg. I have 1/2” and 5/8” R8 collets, As well as 10 and 16mm sizes.
I have went looked thru the Chinese Products on Aliexpress & Amazon, but, they tend to leave the shank dimensions out of the description.

Any experiences or recommendations to share ?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Isn't this the shank diameter?
*** oops sorry, replying to wrong person... I think thats what you are saying as well ***

1709403217951.png

LenVW

Premium Member
The smaller overall diameter cutters seem to have a ‘reduced’ shank diameter just above the cutting faces. Looks to be a weak area of the shank, especially for dovetail cutters.
I was hoping to stick with a minimum 16mm shank, straight to the cutter faces.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Can I ask why 2" diameter? Usually the bulk of material is milled out conventionally with a straight EM & only the remaining angled sides are milled as a secondary operation with smaller cutters. That's easier on the dovetail cutter loading & those cutters can also do narrower dovetail slots. I think the neck-down (relief) is to get a clean cutting edge for the entire angled surface & accommodate narrower dovetails?
I've seen big diameter dovetail cutters but usually with carbide inserts (big $$).

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Make your own indexable holder. and show us pictures. I made something similar... but 45 chamfer.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Did you show us this John?
hmm not sure. The slot for the triangle has straight sides. Ideally I think they should match the slope of the insert. Works fine though. I ordered one of these from MZG and then got impatient. So now I have a factory one and my verision..

1709405106433.png 1709405236224.png

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
I agree with PeterT. The narrow shank is needed to achieve the correct clearances. But also the length of the neck is important. The Aliexpress cutter shown above has a short neck which means the depth of the upper corner of the dovetail slot is limited, and would be quite close to the top surface. A longer neck allows the dovetail to be cut deeper in the material.

This cutter from Toolmex works very well in cast iron and 1018, cost about $45. Larger ones get exponentially more expensive. An indexable cutter is also very good option.

Attachments

• IMG_4382.jpg
    IMG_4382.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 2

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
you can see my version has straight surfaces to hold the index but the commercial one has angled sides, and also it has a sloping bed to reduce the cutting angle. Looking at mine more closely I see there is a small gap between the side of the index and the holder. I made this four years ago - I hope I can do better now.

Last edited:

LenVW

Premium Member
I know the reduced shank diameter is for clearance, but, a lot of these Chinese products seem to reduce it to the point of weakening the tool.

@Janger . . . I like your straight shank. no stress concentration with it.
I may attempt that pocket machining in CR Bar.
Note:
The last carbide insert ‘pocket’ I machined was about 35 years ago on an Ex-Cell-O 602 mill.