My WigWag Engine Build

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Brian H inspired me to attempt a wigwag engine build so here is what I have so far.

BASE.JPG

The easy part, the base and column.

FLYWHEEL1.JPG

FLYWHEEL2.JPG

FLYWHEEL3.JPG

Sourced a piece of 3" round from @johnnielsen for the fly wheel. Thanks John!

CYLINDER1.JPG

CYLINDER2.JPG

CYLINDER3.JPG

CYLINDER4.JPG

Aluminum cylinder made from square stock with the cylinder bore offset on the body. Learned a lot doing that operation.

PISTON.JPG

Turning the piston

THREADING.JPG

Manual threading the connecting rod. Not fun.

PISTON-ROD-CCON.JPG

Crank connection, connecting rod and piston AND a failed connecting rod.

BUILD2.JPG

The build so far. The piston to cylinder fit actually exhibits compression so that's encouraging.

I neglected to record making the crank:(

Last edited:

turner

Thanks for posting as you did, I have just returned from the USA so Self Q. in the garage for 14 days.
Could be the best 14 day holiday ever!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Finished some final details today.....

GRUBSCREW1.JPG

GRUBSCREW2.JPG

Grub screws on the crank and fly wheel. I didn't think this maneuver on fly wheel was going to fly, but it did.
Second image doesn't show it well but that drill bit is clear through to the center of the fly wheel bore. Dumb luck or what???

ASSY1.JPG

ASSY2.JPG

ASSY3.JPG

So here she is in her final configuration. Man, I nailed the cylinder cap press fit, took a good squeeze in the vise to get her on.

BUT..... the best part is..... wait for it..... drum roll please...……...

The damned thing actually runs:eek:

Sadly the wife says I have to turn the compressor off for the night:(

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Going to close this one off with a few comments.

Plans are available here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EduFxa-dMpwxW8EtCo4O-dErBdMeNV25/view

The only complaint I have about the plans are that the axle and connecting rod lengths are out by a good 5mm (long) and the fly wheel to base clearance is questionable. Apart from that, just follow the axle to port dimensions precisely and you're golden.

DUSTOFF.JPG

The model works well with nothing more than a can of Dust Off if you want a portable unit (grand kids and such).

RAWSTOCK.JPG

Raw stock for this project came from this and some brass rod.

Contributors to that stockpile of material were @Janger , @johnnielsen and @kevin.decelles

Thanks guys!!!

Be Safe... Be Healthy...

Cheers,

Craig

Last edited: