My first stem engine build

Brian H

Super User
I started this little wobble engine on Jan. 1. I was really excited to have it run the first attempt.

Attachments

• steam engine 1.jpg
    steam engine 1.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 0
  • steam engine 2.jpg
    steam engine 2.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 0

Brian H

Super User
Yes it was a scratch build. I used bits and pieces I was able to scrounge up. I would have liked to use more brass but I don't have access to anything big enough for this project.
I got the plans from Ade Swash on YouTube. He has several versions of this.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Excellent job particularly for a first build. I love wobblers they are fun to build and rewarding to watch them do their thing.

Brian H

Super User
I'm not sure if I understand the question. If you are asking how I figured where the port holes went, I blued the face of the frame, placed a pin in the hole and swept the cylinder on the pivot to mark the extremes

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
You understood my question perfectly, unfortunately No I cannot explain it, I did the “cheat way” myself and was hopeful Brian May have been able to break down the math if he had successfully figured it out

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice job. The Wobbler design seems popular on the engine forum.
Even plans for a radial!

About how much pressure is required to get it ticking over?

Attachments

• SNAG-2-16-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-2-16-2020 0000.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 0

Brian H

Super User
Nice job. The Wobbler design seems popular on the engine forum.
Even plans for a radial!

About how much pressure is required to get it ticking over?

The pressure gauge on my regulator only goes down to 10 PSI. But, I turn it right off and then slowly turn it in about two turns. Im guessing 1.5-2 PSI.

I like the radial idea. I may just attempt one of those.

Brian H

Super User
You understood my question perfectly, unfortunately No I cannot explain it, I did the “cheat way” myself and was hopeful Brian May have been able to break down the math if he had successfully figured it out
If you look at the plans Ade Swash has on his Youtube video, the numbers are all ther, however, I didn't trust myself that I got everything accurate enough to use them so I "cheated" so it was right. I hate making parts twice...LOL

Brian H

Super User
I'll try load a video....sorry, I can't get it to work for me.
Has any one downloaded a video? I'm getting an error message "does not have an allowable extension"

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Need to post to YouTube or Google Drive and paste the link here. Then it will work.