• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

My bank uses cookies, clearly spies on me like everyone else, so why the hell.....

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
My bank uses cookies, clearly spies on me like everyone else, they also have access to every banking transaction I make, so why the hell does my bank send me spam trying to sell me travel insurance.

Are they trolling me? Making fun of the fact I haven't gone anywhere at all in 3 years, nor out of country in over 5 years?

Hey big bank boys, what are you trying to tell me?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
My bank uses cookies, clearly spies on me like everyone else, they also have access to every banking transaction I make, so why the hell does my bank send me spam trying to sell me travel insurance.

Are they trolling me? Making fun of the fact I haven't gone anywhere at all in 3 years, nor out of country in over 5 years?

Hey big bank boys, what are you trying to tell me?
Which branch? I am hungry for cookies !!!

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Pretty much every website ever uses cookies, the fact that they're telling you now is due to some stupid regulation in Europe, not all of them are used for tracking/advertising purposes....frankly I'd be happier if they just stopped telling us.

No privacy any more any where I'm afraid, whether on a PC or a cell phone. Every one is tracking our data! It's the age of big data! Apparently Amazon knows what we are going to buy before we even make the purchase! And banks are all crooks as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately I can't avoid using one! They have me cornered and trapped on that one! They report billions in profits all the time but the other day I found out my TD has become too cheap now to even give me an envelope for my cash withdrawals! And the next time there's a banking crisis will I be able to get my money out? I'm afraid the answer is not one I want to hear!!!

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I just can't remember the day when we all gave permission to big tech to reach into our homes and start snooping around and recording our every keystroke and then sell our personal data to the highest bidder.

I used gmail for my business for years until they wanted to start charging me a monthly fee. Countless warnings your account will be terminated if you don't start paying a monthly fee. So I migrated away from gmail. Must of had a hundred last warnings, still no termination of the account, no surprise (they can't sell my data if they don't host my account.) It's not enough that they want to take my personal private data and sell it, they have to be greedy to the extent they want to charge me a monthly fee for taking my data before selling it to everyone. Pure greed.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I wonder what percentage of people read the terms of service?

I agree with @David_R8 . Practically nobody.

I actually read the terms of service for Facebook. Anyone who ever read that would never use Facebook. Yet it remains extremely popular. My only reasonable conclusion is that virtually nobody has read it.

Actually 0.00000000000000001% according to David.

Hey! That one in 10 trillion must be me!

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Let me make myself clear, I dont object to their cookies, nor their terms of service.

I object to the blatant trolling. The see my balance, they know the only place I can afford to visit is beautiful downtown Windsor, ON.

It would have to be the Leisure Motel, and only for one night.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Let me make myself clear, I dont object to their cookies, nor their terms of service.

I object to the blatant trolling. The see my balance, they know the only place I can afford to visit is beautiful downtown Windsor, ON.

You can always opt-out of their mailings...

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member

Why come all the way to Windsor? you only need to go to downtown Oshawa and you can see the same desperation.

Damn, you must be rolling in it....... All I can afford is heartbreak Hotel.....:rolleyes:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I wonder what percentage of people read the terms of service?
I think I'm that guy,

My bank uses cookies, clearly spies on me like everyone else

You could set your browser to delete cookies after closing the domain. And erasing all cookies after each session.

I combat tracking by using a separate browser instance for every purpose: Each is a portable installation, firewalled from the other. Cookies aren't your only concern: There is browser fingerprinting, and graphics cache monitoring using 1-pixel graphics that also help to track you. And IP addresses. (perhaps so much more....)