• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

My bank uses cookies, clearly spies on me like everyone else, so why the hell.....

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I think I'm that guy,

You could set your browser to delete cookies after closing the domain. And erasing all cookies after each session.

I combat tracking by using a separate browser instance for every purpose: Each is a portable installation, firewalled from the other. Cookies aren't your only concern: There is browser fingerprinting, and graphics cache monitoring using 1-pixel graphics that also help to track you. And IP addresses. (perhaps so much more....)
ya'll tryin to make me paranoid?

gerritv

Gerrit
No privacy any more any where I'm afraid, whether on a PC or a cell phone. Every one is tracking our data! It's the age of big data! Apparently Amazon knows what we are going to buy before we even make the purchase! And banks are all crooks as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately I can't avoid using one! They have me cornered and trapped on that one! They report billions in profits all the time but the other day I found out my TD has become too cheap now to even give me an envelope for my cash withdrawals! And the next time there's a banking crisis will I be able to get my money out? I'm afraid the answer is not one I want to hear!!!
We haven't used a bank in decades, always with a credit union since mid 1960's to be exact. You have First Ontario, DUCA and Meridian to chose from in your area. We had 2 mortgages and a 6 month bridging loan with DUCA, and always got money back as shares from the interest payments. Once 65, no fees at all. Prior, very few fees. Better mortgage terms as well.

Ironman

Ultra Member
Anyone using Gurgle or having a cell phone is being spied on. Fecebook is the absolute worst as they openly market the info they collect to spammers. Every "smart" phone has 3 microphones and they listen even when the phone is "off". Eric Snowdon has written much about this.
I use Brave or Duckduckgo as search engines, and a flip phone. I search with a computer, not a fone. My adblocker has blocked 3 ads on this page alone. If a site is worth it, I would rather donate to them instead of seeing their rubbish daily.
I set my cookie crusher to only allow the bare necessary one in to allow the page to function. I have never accepted giving up my freedom or privacy for a tech toy.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Anyone using Gurgle or having a cell phone is being spied on. Fecebook is the absolute worst as they openly market the info they collect to spammers. Every "smart" phone has 3 microphones and they listen even when the phone is "off". Eric Snowdon has written much about this.

That's why you need to carry.... Several xtra, state of the art, burner phone.;)

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
That's why you need to carry.... Several xtra, state of the art, burner phone.;)

You can't get them in Canada. I looked. Not the US style where its anonymous. You buy the phone and pay as go, but to get minutes you have to pay with a carrier with a CC which means they have your real name with the number. In the US, plunk down your money and the phone comes with minutes.

Why would I want a burner? phone numbers is how big data is stitching it all together. Unlike throw away emails, most people have just one. Increasingly you have to give one to receive a text as part of two part verification. The BS that its for your protection, its really so they have the number.

On one hand I suppose I shouldn't care, but it just irks as it feels sneaky. Ended up getting Hushed which gives you a second phone # on a mobile.

Ironman

Ultra Member
Any provider will sell you a flip with a bitter look, knowing you probably want to talk on it, and won't get their data pack. I tend to buy mine off Fleabay for $130 bucks.
If you are addicted to texting, these are not for you, as the bs involved causes me to phone them instead.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
One other tidbit: Many sites now use Google Captcha to tell if you are not a robot when you log into a site. In Versipn 3, you cannot even tell they are doing it unless you block the specific Google script. In the CAPTCHA there appears to be 3 separate tracking methods embedded deep, and also in the API.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
.00000000000000001%
There is no such thing as terms of service and I doubt it would stand up in a court of law. The only terms are really do you want to buy this or not? If you buy it and you want to use it then you must agree to their ravings. If you don't want to agree and you say no then it won't work. So then take it back. And the sales people say why did you buy it if you aren't going to agree to the terms. So in essence it doesn't matter if you read them. If you buy it you agree or there's no point in buying it.

And with all that said I'm forced to use Windows 11 if I want to continue receiving support on the tools I use and the intrusion into my life, at first glance, by Windows 11 is incredible. Over time I'm sure I'll be able to reduce how much it's intruding but for now. Wow!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
There is no such thing as terms of service and I doubt it would stand up in a court of law. The only terms are really do you want to buy this or not? If you buy it and you want to use it then you must agree to their ravings. If you don't want to agree and you say no then it won't work. So then take it back. And the sales people say why did you buy it if you aren't going to agree to the terms. So in essence it doesn't matter if you read them. If you buy it you agree or there's no point in buying it.

And with all that said I'm forced to use Windows 11 if I want to continue receiving support on the tools I use and the intrusion into my life, at first glance, by Windows 11 is incredible. Over time I'm sure I'll be able to reduce how much it's intruding but for now. Wow!
Dealing with software Terms of Use/Service is my stock in trade. It's part of what I do professionally. And they are absolutely enforceable in court.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Dealing with software Terms of Use/Service is my stock in trade. It's part of what I do professionally. And they are absolutely enforceable in court.

Do you know the # of cases that are currently before the courts on these terms of use, for the services they provide?
How about the backlog of cases in the courts currently, 3-5 years out?