Mounting a 5C chuck on my lathe

terry_g

Ultra Member
Today Loomis delivered a Bostar 5C collet chuck. I ordered the one with the D1-4 semi finished adaptor.
The adaptor came with the pins installed, I had to take the screws out and turn them in one turn to get
the eccentrics to lock. I mounted the plate on the spindle and dialled it for runout both radial and axial.
The dial indicator stayed at zero runout. I turned the adaptor until I could just start the chuck on it then
installed it and tightened the screws.
I'm impressed as the taper has about 0.0004" runout. I'm sure I could shim and cut the adaptor to bring
that down but for what I use it for that is adequate. I have a set of collets I bought from Accusize on
Amazon, I haven't checked yet but I doubt they are any more accurate than the chuck.

It was well packaged.
IMG_3273.JPG

The contents.
No spring on the chuck key.
IMG_3275.JPG

Ready for use.
The 3/4" drill rod dialled .001"
IMG_3277.JPG

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ready for use.

If you are even remotely like me, that chuck will be on your lathe 90% of the time. None of my chucks see anywhere near the usage that my 5C collet chuck sees.

You will LOVE IT!

Also, you have three cam-lock studs. I recommend finding the one with the lowest runout and putting an index mark on it so it always goes on in the same place.

Lastly, put an index mark on the nose and then mark your parts before turning. That way you can usually remove and reinstall them and pick up right where you left off.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Nice. I find I swap between the 5C holder and the 3 jaw quite a bit but mostly because I need to hold odd things. The 5C gets a lot of use.

Now on my Unimat DB200 I have only 3 jaw and 4 jaw and the 3 jaw is on it most of the time. But that may change. Today these ER16's arrived along with the holder that can be used in the mill or held in the 5C collet. The shaft is 10mm so I may have to order a 10mm 5C collet.
ER16_Collets.jpg
Anyway. Also still on order is a much smaller collet holder that I will thread to match the Unimat spindle. Be interesting to see if this stays on more often than the 3 Jaw.
ER16_Holder.jpg