Modern Tool Shout-Out

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just wanted to pass on some appreciation to the nice folks at Modern Tool. I’ll document my lathe tune-up with some pictures soon. My King 14x40 lathe developed an issue with the power feed bar. It’s taken me a while to diagnose the root issue, but hopefully on the home stretch now.

I bought my lathe new from Modern in 1998 back when they were a King distributer. Shortly thereafter they opted to carry their own machine lines factory direct, which they still do. Obtaining replacement parts of this brand/vintage from Taiwan is getting tougher & King Canada in Quebec was… let’s just say ‘unhelpful’. Another distributer was obliging, but the cost was quite high.

Modern Tool used their connections to source what I required & brought in parts with timely efficiency. In short, they went the extra mile for a machine they haven’t even sold for 18 years. I believe Alex organized our last meet-up gathering at their shop to watch a CNC demo (and of course no surprise, we ogle the cool machines on the floor make note of ‘maybe one day’ candidates). Anyway, I wanted to post something as a positive experience on behalf of their staff.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Well said peter. I bought my CNC lathe there in 2015 and the whole experience was very positive. The staff are all really great and I stop in to say hi whenever i am in the area. There is nowhere else in the city that compares to there showroom.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I've dealt with George in the past for a couple of lathes and have always been treated well!
Modern Tools is also a good source of machine manuals that can be hard to get.