• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Modern Tool Shout-Out

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just wanted to pass on some appreciation to the nice folks at Modern Tool. I’ll document my lathe tune-up with some pictures soon. My King 14x40 lathe developed an issue with the power feed bar. It’s taken me a while to diagnose the root issue, but hopefully on the home stretch now.

I bought my lathe new from Modern in 1998 back when they were a King distributer. Shortly thereafter they opted to carry their own machine lines factory direct, which they still do. Obtaining replacement parts of this brand/vintage from Taiwan is getting tougher & King Canada in Quebec was… let’s just say ‘unhelpful’. Another distributer was obliging, but the cost was quite high.

Modern Tool used their connections to source what I required & brought in parts with timely efficiency. In short, they went the extra mile for a machine they haven’t even sold for 18 years. I believe Alex organized our last meet-up gathering at their shop to watch a CNC demo (and of course no surprise, we ogle the cool machines on the floor make note of ‘maybe one day’ candidates). Anyway, I wanted to post something as a positive experience on behalf of their staff.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Well said peter. I bought my CNC lathe there in 2015 and the whole experience was very positive. The staff are all really great and I stop in to say hi whenever i am in the area. There is nowhere else in the city that compares to there showroom.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I've dealt with George in the past for a couple of lathes and have always been treated well!
Modern Tools is also a good source of machine manuals that can be hard to get.