• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Modern Tool Meetup

Great event, very informative. Funny, I always seem to win a door prize, wish I could do the same with 6/ 49. LOL Something I can actually use, thanks to DGI Supply for donating.

Hans

EliseLCR

Sorry to bother so many days later, but is this something that may be happening again anytime soon?
I would love to go, too bad I missed this one :)
Thanks!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Sorry you missed it @EliseLCR ! I’m not sure when the next event is it was fun. Probably a tims meetup.

I was thinking about a session on finishing with demos. Painting. Powder coating. Black oxide. Anodizing. Zinc plating. Need a shop somewhere big enough for the group... any ideas? Outside maybe?

Need someone who understands painting and paint supplies well. My painting is only mediocre. Anybody ? Volunteers?

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
I gave my son a dual voltage powdercoating gun for Xmas this year, now we have to think about a oven, I have a roticery type like the ones used for donairs that I bought for powder coating (future) so we should give it a go soon.
I’d also like to learn more about anodizing, black oxides, and galvanization.

Tom O

Ultra Member
This is the little oven I was thinking about F7DDE00A-C315-4704-B192-B73FA19F9B71.jpeg

The top can lift out for hanging or it can spin below.
This is a brush electroplater that I picked up a couple years ago ( typical get to project ). 402C331D-7F20-48DC-8429-3A565CB67C43.jpeg F7DD6B91-3F61-4243-930A-3CCBC8F14633.jpeg

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I have two countertop pizza ovens for powder coat which hold about 11”x11”by 7”... from kijiji. Eastwood has a $150 oven which is quite a bit bigger but still countertop sized. I’d rather have that than the pizza ovens. The process ruins the oven for anything else so don’t think you can use your kitchen btw.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
thousands of lead bullet casters have taken to Powder coating their slugs instead of the centuries old method of wax/soft lube coatings that are sometimes messy as hell and collect all sorts of foreign materials to ruin a bore. Probably 90% of them just use an inexpensive used "Value Village" toaster oven to cook their stuff, anything that will hold a 400 deg. temp for 20 minutes will work. I started out with the above mentioned toaster oven but have since "commandeered" the kitchen range my daughter was going to through out and have it wired into a spot in the shop. It works wonderful and I went from doing 60 slugs too a batch in the T.O. too being capable of doing over 600 at a time in the range. While I have only done a couple thousand slugs so far, some buddies of mine have done many thousands and love the results...PCing is extremely easy to do with very little output in cash to get started.

You don't need a gun for small pieces (altho a gun works for small pieces and sometimes gives a better coverage). If you want to start really cheap (as I did) all you need is an old plastic margarine tub (or facsimile) and a teaspoon of powder to swirl your part in ( in the bullet world we call it the "shake & bake method) for 30 seconds or so. The static elec. that is generated by the swirling causes the powder to stick to your part then into the oven with it. I can do 50 or 60 slugs to a batch in a 1 lb margarine tub.

This rudimentary PCing wont be for everybody but your only out $10 for a used oven and $15 for 1/2 lb of powder from P.A. and as Janger says your toaster oven wont be for "toast" anymore so don't try to sneak the wifes outside for a "one-off" tryout....

Tom O

Ultra Member
We’d have to see I’ve never tried it out yet it’s one of those things from the 40s - 50s that you pick up but I think it is not far off from the ones on sale that even use a wall wart.
Here’s another thing I picked up.
A23FC5EE-5581-4E73-9970-385C34FFC571.jpeg 2A42D84C-2431-4757-B9BA-6CDBA7876F49.jpeg

EliseLCR

Sorry you missed it @EliseLCR ! I’m not sure when the next event is it was fun. Probably a tims meetup.

I was thinking about a session on finishing with demos. Painting. Powder coating. Black oxide. Anodizing. Zinc plating. Need a shop somewhere big enough for the group... any ideas? Outside maybe?

Need someone who understands painting and paint supplies well. My painting is only mediocre. Anybody ? Volunteers?

I’ll keep my eyes/ears open for next time! [emoji4]

Oooooh that sounds great! I definitely wouldn’t wanna miss that session! Hope it works out! [emoji4]