Mini milling machine

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If one is learning, then they are interested. If your interested it’s almost as work becomes like a hobby more then “work”.

My entire working life, I lived by the following quote which I often used especially when I was speaking to students:

"If you can find a job that you enjoy doing, then you'll never have to work for the rest of your life."

Millwright1009

I just picked it up, 500$. It’s smaller then I thought but still worth it. The guy had plenty of different size endmills, dovetail cutter, 3 carbide drill bits also a 3/8 chuck and a Collet set. Few drills there to, including a 1 9/16”, lol, I wouldn’t say I’ll be using that one on this small machine. My 12” lathe probably wouldn’t like that one either.
Machine is in decent shape. Bit of backlash on the table leadscrews but nothing serious.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
These mills are not for rough milling with big cuts, but, there is a lot of capability with the medium size tools.
Work within your limits and you can produce a lot of accurate pieces.
I am going to do some mods on mine if I can find the time.

Here are a few photos of my mill with DRO transducer mounts.

Attachments

• 1DADB42E-E527-4DFB-89CD-31C7D062C0AB.jpeg
    1DADB42E-E527-4DFB-89CD-31C7D062C0AB.jpeg
    687.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 87A5810C-61E7-4D4A-8B1C-7BACB3DBF862.jpeg
    87A5810C-61E7-4D4A-8B1C-7BACB3DBF862.jpeg
    559.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DD908D45-6BBE-4558-934C-8B37756B5FB4.jpeg
    DD908D45-6BBE-4558-934C-8B37756B5FB4.jpeg
    559.7 KB · Views: 8

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
LenVW i take it those igaging dro units are separate units and won't work easily for bolt patterns or other circle displays.

LenVW

Premium Member
LenVW i take it those igaging dro units are separate units and won't work easily for bolt patterns or other circle displays.
Yeah, I usually layout the requirements in AutoCAD and then use the X & Y coordinates with
the drawing origin (0,0) at the centre of the BC.

LenVW

Premium Member
I just picked it up, 500$. It’s smaller then I thought but still worth it. The guy had plenty of different size endmills, dovetail cutter, 3 carbide drill bits also a 3/8 chuck and a Collet set. Few drills there to, including a 1 9/16”, lol, I wouldn’t say I’ll be using that one on this small machine. My 12” lathe probably wouldn’t like that one either.
Machine is in decent shape. Bit of backlash on the table leadscrews but nothing serious.
Are you getting a feel for what you can do with the Mini Mill ?
It is not a full-size knee mill, but, you can still do a lot with it and you don’t have a massive ‘boat anchor’ to move around your workshop.
A 1/2” steel plate bolted to the back of the column helps to stiffen the mill assembly and absorb some machining reverberation generated.
This is the 1” Accusize Flycutter I bought last spring for $75.

Attachments

• 38724964-A8C8-4A66-A57A-155E8B5C2C0B.jpeg
    38724964-A8C8-4A66-A57A-155E8B5C2C0B.jpeg
    648.7 KB · Views: 11

Millwright1009

Are you getting a feel for what you can do with the Mini Mill ?
It is not a full-size knee mill, but, you can still do a lot with it and you don’t have a massive ‘boat anchor’ to move around your workshop.
A 1/2” steel plate bolted to the back of the column helps to stiffen the mill assembly and absorb some machining reverberation generated.
This is the 1” Accusize Flycutter I bought last spring for $75.
First machining job here.
I have a Ram 1500, this is the 3rd time for manifolds. So I fixed the passenger side a few months ago. They tend to warp so I draw filed it the finished it off with a palm sander lol.
So the other day my drivers side manifold started to leak bad so I removed it and machined it in the mill. There isn’t enough travel so I had to machine two faces and move it, dial it in from the already machines faces and touch off and complete the other two. It took a while for sure but seemed to turn out pretty good. Used the same 1” facing mill.

Not to mention the awesome thread setup has failed on both sides. The manifolds warp putting stress on the studs and pulled the 8mm threads out of the head. I tapped it at 3/8” without drilling and installed stainless bolts. These used manifolds will hopefully not warp any more.
Nothing else seems to work so this is my attempt at an issue on all rams.

Attachments

• 490B27E3-11EB-4750-A8E2-9E9D5C8832E0.jpeg
    490B27E3-11EB-4750-A8E2-9E9D5C8832E0.jpeg
    510.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

LenVW

Premium Member
You would think that Dodge would have redesigned the exhaust manifolds with thicker cross sections or some heat fins.
Have you tried some manifold gaskets of other materials ?
Just a suggestion, I used to cut high-temp sealing gaskets from ‘silicone rubber‘ for extrusion dies running at 600 degrees F.

Millwright1009

You would think that Dodge would have redesigned the exhaust manifolds with thicker cross sections or some heat fins.
Have you tried some manifold gaskets of other materials ?
Just a suggestion, I used to cut high-temp sealing gaskets from ‘silicone rubber‘ for extrusion dies running at 600 degrees F.
These gaskets are seem the same design as a “spiral round” pipe gasket, for the aluminum head side with graphite on the manifold side. Very similar to a head gasket I guess but with the addition of graphite. Doesn’t take much to get a good seal.
This manifold for example, from the rear to the most forward was about .150-.160” difference. Those small 8mm bolts kept it sealed for about 60,000 kms worth but finally let go.

If these 3/8 bolts let go I’m not sure what to do. I will probably have to ad a heli coil. To do that and have a drill with the little room will be next impossible.