• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Mini milling machine

Millwright1009

558DEE0C-3848-4C1D-9C4C-F1E75308E309.jpeg I have a chance for $600 for a small milling/ drilling machine. Comes with collets up to 1/2”. Drill chuck, few drill bits and end mills. Also has a 4” drill press vise. Thought on it? I wouldn’t begin to think on one of these but the price also with the tools are making me think twice. Similar to the one in the picture. I’m pretty sure harbour frightused to sell a similar one, plus the Chinese models are the same.

What’s anyones thoughts? Anybody with experience with these?

I know it very limited but would be a nice bench top item for my garage.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I would get it for that price if its in working order. I don't currently have a milling machine though. I believe these are right around $1100 new before tax, without collets.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I have had this KING Mill for a year now.

It is very versatile and powerful.
Works well with my carbide flycutter and End Mills up to 1/2” Dia. In MS.

I will be looking into adding column ‘Braces’ to beef it up.
I used to run an Ex-Cell-O #602 Knee Mill in the 1980s.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It is quite limited, but for limited budget its OK. I used its brushless motor version, added bracing etc. but it never was good for me so I sold it and upgraded to BP style 40 taper machine.

LenVW

Premium Member
If the plastic gear in the drive is OK, you should be good.
The KC-15VS is 3/4 hp and sells brand new $1100 + tax.
Mine fit well in my basement lab.

Attachments

• C51AF99A-00C7-417E-9964-4D6E54691018.jpeg
    C51AF99A-00C7-417E-9964-4D6E54691018.jpeg
    573.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 8895756F-C6A7-4B59-8F0C-B31AE936C375.jpeg
    8895756F-C6A7-4B59-8F0C-B31AE936C375.jpeg
    559.6 KB · Views: 13

LenVW

Premium Member
I added the DROs on the X & Y axis.
EASY VIEW by I-Gaging Buy direct on-line. The two units cost about $100.

My brother-in-law grew up on Belle Island and only moved near here 15 years ago.
Where are you in NFLD ?
Are you near Deerlake & Gros Moir ?

Attachments

• 1663867064004.jpeg
    1663867064004.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 3

Millwright1009

I added the DROs on the X & Y axis.
EASY VIEW by I-Gaging Buy direct on-line. The two units cost about $100.

My brother-in-law grew up on Belle Island and only moved near here 15 years ago.
Where are you in NFLD ?
Are you near Deerlake & Gros Moir ?
Ok awesome, I didn’t see many decent reviews on them but something to check into . Definitely worth having if doing any amount of work.
I’m on the east side on the Avalon Peninsula

LenVW

Premium Member
I find them adequate in a reasonably clean environment. I do not use a lot of flood cooling, so I have not tested them in that kind of mess.

I attached a photo of a mill I apprenticed with at Ex-Cell-O.
It is about 3500 lbs, 3 hp and typically in the $ 20,000 range (used).

Do you any experience with machining ?
This KING Mill is nowhere near a full-size Knee Mill, but, it can chew up the metal.

Attachments

• xload.jpeg
    xload.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3

Millwright1009

I find them adequate in a reasonably clean environment. I do not use a lot of flood cooling, so I have not tested them in that kind of mess.

I attached a photo of a mill I apprenticed with at Ex-Cell-O.
It is about 3500 lbs, 3 hp and typically in the $ 20,000 range (used).

Do you any experience with machining ?
This KING Mill is nowhere near a full-size Knee Mill, but, it can chew up the metal.
I’m a millwright by trade, hence the name, lol. Part of millwright training is machining. I have some machining work experience. I’ve used a machine same size in the picture. But regards of measuring, dialing in and whatnot I’ve been doing it for a little more then 10 years now.

LenVW

Premium Member
What industry - lumber, marine, oil & gas ?
I have worked with dozens of Millwrights here in Ontario at Kellogg’s, Big O, SIHI Vacuum and a large steel fabrication shop (COMAC).

Millwright1009

What industry - lumber, marine, oil & gas ?
I have worked with dozens of Millwrights here in Ontario at Kellogg’s, Big O, SIHI Vacuum and a large steel fabrication shop (COMAC).
Some mining and marine, just spent 5 years or so with on large hydro turbines, as of now I’m in oil and gas. I jump around a lot lol.

LenVW

Premium Member
Variety is a good thing !!

I apprenticed as a general machinist right out of high school for 4 years, spent most of it it working on an . . . Ex-Cell-O #604 knee mill.
The recession of the mid 80s led me back to Fanshawe College for Mechanical Design & spent work-terms at Kellogg’s Engineering on Dundas Street in London. Eventually I found my way to a job designing machinery at Big O Pipe and they had a habit of sending their managers to the Ivey Business School at Western University and graduated with a CIM.
Big O sent me to Norway, USA and Australia while building and developing patent awarded machinery for HDPE Corrugated Pipe Forming.

These days I work part-time for automotive restoration shops that paint and refinish classic roadsters and muscle cars from the 50s and 60s. There are lots of Baby-Boomers who want that car back from their 20s.

I was in Nova Scotia in 2020 and saw the Fundy tides.
Did they ever get that Tidal Hydro Generator working in Minas Basin ?

Millwright1009

Variety is a good thing !!

I apprenticed as a general machinist right out of high school for 4 years, spent most of it it working on an . . . Ex-Cell-O #604 knee mill.
The recession of the mid 80s led me back to Fanshawe College for Mechanical Design & spent work-terms at Kellogg’s Engineering on Dundas Street in London. Eventually I found my way to a job designing machinery at Big O Pipe and they had a habit of sending their managers to the Ivey Business School at Western University and graduated with a CIM.
Big O sent me to Norway, USA and Australia while building and developing patent awarded machinery for HDPE Corrugated Pipe Forming.

These days I work part-time for automotive restoration shops that paint and refinish classic roadsters and muscle cars from the 50s and 60s. There are lots of Baby-Boomers who want that car back from their 20s.

I was in Nova Scotia in 2020 and saw the Fundy tides.
Did they ever get that Tidal Hydro Generator working in Minas Basin ?
I’m not sure, was never apart of that.

LenVW

Premium Member
What do you like ?
Pumping, piping, assembly ?
Describe a typical job you do ?

Millwright1009

What do you like ?
Pumping, piping, assembly ?
Describe a typical job you do ?
My first job yes was at large slurry pumps, great job, loved it, learned plenty. After I left there because of the location I started flying back and fourth to Alberta.(new construction), money was great. After that I got into the marine side. Work close to home but money wasn’t great. When I got my JP I started at the hydro racket. That was probably the best jobs I’ve had, company was terrible, but the people and the work in general was interested. Alignments and fitting was our thing with that. Aligning, a 1000 ton, 70 ish foot tall machine, to around .020”. Very interesting work for sure. Which was new construction as well.
In betwteen these jobs, I had a few small gigs, like shutdowns and whatnot, more or less welding in a mine. Liners and conveyors.
Now I’m back at the alignments again, pump-motor alignments, pipe strains and fan balancing. I’ve been fortunate for work over the last 10 years or so. Sometimes I have 6-7 T-4s come tax time to submit but I’m used to it.

LenVW

Premium Member
I have been in several industries.
As long as you are learning something and improving yourself, working at a dirty place will do for a while.
I worked as an applications engineer for a pump company for 3-4 years.
I learned a lot about fluid systems, centrifugal trash pumps, AODD, gear pumps and controls for managing capital projects.

I can remember being out of work for 6 months when I was younger.
Always put away some money in a good investment to get you thru the those slow times and add to it thru the years.
Putting away some money every year will grow to a good retirement fund.

As long as you are learning, it is always good.