Mini Mill 3-axis DRO for $200

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Are you into running, location or force (interference) fits.

I just cold-worked some angle iron to make up a support frame for my Drill Press. Excellent stability and still light enough to move around. I have a history of designing & building everything out of metals.
Sorry, but the last time I saw a WOODEN wear component was on an OLD International #91 combine that my father bought 40 years ago.
What are you making out of wood ?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
David,
Do you have any experience with DRO accuracy ?
I saw the specs where they stated an accuracy of .004” for the iGaging DRO Plus units.
I would have thought a DRO would be better, maybe they are regarding to variation over the full length.
I need to make a decision tomorrow to get the sale price.

I got a Ditron via AliExpress from China. I got the 1 micron scales. But apparently, the error grows over the full length of the scale and can be out as much as 10 thou over 40 inches.

However the display unit can be programmed to remove the error by applying a linear or even a multi weighted correction factor. I was quite impressed to read that.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I got a Ditron via AliExpress from China. I got the 1 micron scales. But apparently, the error grows over the full length of the scale and can be out as much as 10 thou over 40 inches.

However the display unit can be programmed to remove the error by applying a linear or even a multi weighted correction factor. I was quite impressed to read that.
My mill DRO has the same functionality. Pretty darn amazing really.

LenVW

Premium Member
Just finished installing my DROs on my KING mill.
The little M4 set screws are easy to drop.
The shorter ‘Y’ axis was just drill and tap.
I mounted the ‘X’ axis transducer on the back of the table with a custom plate and spacers.

Not bad for $165

Attachments

• F9F0584A-1A7D-4AC3-8BFB-9E7E8FCC1987.jpeg
    F9F0584A-1A7D-4AC3-8BFB-9E7E8FCC1987.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 4CE27ECA-F43E-43FC-81ED-59E5ACDA49A4.jpeg
    4CE27ECA-F43E-43FC-81ED-59E5ACDA49A4.jpeg
    687.4 KB · Views: 28
  • C0F8FE2A-F7B8-4841-AA47-26CCDB9D8139.jpeg
    C0F8FE2A-F7B8-4841-AA47-26CCDB9D8139.jpeg
    559.7 KB · Views: 28

gerritv

Gerrit

Which display did you get? I am fed up waiting for TouchDRO UI to get fixed, its been years. And I need a better scale on my compound so if I am to spend money on a glass scale (I would also have to upgrade the touchdro controller) I may as well get something professional. Overall cost will be similar.
I'm looking at this one, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966097535.html 3 axis with RPM. I'll get glass scales , 1um for cross slide, 5 for Z axis.
3 axis because if I like the unit I will get one for my Atlas mill as well, and able to swap displays if one goes bad.
Gerrit

gerritv

Gerrit
Len, that is a great start to enjoying the benefits of DRO's. You install is whereI started on my mill and lathe. I would recommend that you find a way to cover the X axis one as these scales don't like getting wet with oil. doesn't need anything fancy, just keep the oil drips off.

Gerrit

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Which display did you get? I am fed up waiting for TouchDRO UI to get fixed, its been years. And I need a better scale on my compound so if I am to spend money on a glass scale (I would also have to upgrade the touchdro controller) I may as well get something professional. Overall cost will be similar.
I'm looking at this one, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966097535.html 3 axis with RPM. I'll get glass scales , 1um for cross slide, 5 for Z axis.
3 axis because if I like the unit I will get one for my Atlas mill as well, and able to swap displays if one goes bad.
Gerrit

I started with the 3 Axis version of this set and asked the seller questions. They kept sweetening the pot for me till I had 4 axis with 5 inputs, 1 micron mini magnetic scales, and rpm. A great deal and I'm VERY happy with it.

gerritv

Gerrit
Thank you forthat reassuring feedback. My budget is as always a bit limited so magnetic is out of the pic for now.
Gerrit

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Len, that is a great start to enjoying the benefits of DRO's. You install is whereI started on my mill and lathe. I would recommend that you find a way to cover the X axis one as these scales don't like getting wet with oil. doesn't need anything fancy, just keep the oil drips off.

Gerrit

The magnetic scales I got are oil and water proof. The manufacturer claims they are swarf proof too. But I have to vaccum mine every so often.

I can imagine swarf getting in under the built in shield somehow. I have not installed full shields yet (mostly because I'm not looking forward to more drilling in that undrillobillium), but when I do, it will be a simple bent piece of aluminium window flashing from home depot.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thank you forthat reassuring feedback. My budget is as always a bit limited so magnetic is out of the pic for now.
Gerrit

I'm sorry, I wasn't as clear as I shoud have been. And the link is to what the currently sell not REALLY what I started with. I actually started with Optical and they threw in the magnetic. I'm pretty sure the screen is the real money and the scales are ALL just minor add-ons.

To be clear, I bet you can get magnetic for the price of glass or probably less. For one thing I am about 500% sure that magnetic is cheaper for them although not necessarily for their customers.

If you look at the two designs, the magnetic is dirt cheap to make and works better. What is not to like? Regardless, it boils down to deciding what you really want and then negotiating a good price.

LenVW

Premium Member

Gerrit
I am working on a LIP cover for the X axis. I make use of my HIGH POWER shop vac to remove chips and debris.