• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Mini metalworking lathe - I could have a good use ocasionally

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am not comfortable with neither Vevor or asc365, both selling pretty much just everything=whatever, almost like amazon :)
Not many other choices, only what I can do is sit back and fish.

Support for most of these small machines is basically zero. I think your only chance is busy bee. They are not great either but with patience and perseverance some support can usually be had.

If the extra cost of the BB stuff gives you heartburn, then my advice is to completely abandon any hope of support and just get the cheapest machine you can find and hope for the best. For what you get, the Walmart choice is appealing. Or buy direct from China. Or drive over to the USA.

My coin would go to Busybee for hope of support or Walmart for low cost because I think both will take returns.

bigHUN

For example I need to extend one internal M27x2.0 thread also to move couple M14x1.25 external threads.
These for sure limiting the 7" machines spindle bore, also an inch leadscrew is questionable.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For example I need to extend one internal M27x2.0 thread also to move couple M14x1.25 external threads.
These for sure limiting the 7" machines spindle bore, also an inch leadscrew is questionable.

Nothing that I know of limits your ability to extend an internal thread. Even much bigger parts than that. Just position the part beyond the spindle. Lots of ways to do that.

I don't understand what you mean by moving a couple of external threads. Can you post a photo or a description?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Have you had a look at what Little Machine Shop and Grizzly has to offer? As I understand it, they will ship to Canada.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
@bigHUN - I still don't understand wheter you'd rather spend more (than $1000?) and get a more capable small machine, or if you want a capable, precision-made, high quality machine, ready to go 'right out of the box' with a large spindle bore for a very low price.
You may find this discussion interesting:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/why-no-small-high-quality-lathes.9570/
For me, working on a 7x lathe was part of the fun and certainly provided an instant list of machine shop projects. :)
Also, looking at the work that more skilled pople do on cheap lathes, I know that I'm not limited by the machine, but by my lack of skill and experience.

bigHUN

Just to recap for the end of the day/night, I see my post is already with a second page.
I don't want a lathe to became my hobby, I was smelling machine shops for couple decades :).
But I need one as a tool to feed my hobbies with parts, which I am designing myself, at my own convenience.
Smallest possible machine, table top size, tight and precise, metric leadscrew, at least 25mm spindle bore size. I may use it several hours per month or maybe not. Needless to say spending more then a $1000 doesn't make a business case.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Smallest possible machine, table top size, tight and precise, metric leadscrew, at least 25mm spindle bore size. I may use it several hours per month or maybe not. Needless to say spending more then a $1000 doesn't make a business case.
Good luck with your search!
Please let us know what you find.
:)

trlvn

Ultra Member
We'd like to help but I don't think there is a machine out there that meets your stated requirements. Most small, table-top machines are not considered "precise". But what does "precise" mean to you? The ability to regularly produce parts that go together with a press fit? Ease of creating bearing journals? Or parts that are within 2-4 thous (0.05 - 0.01 mm) tolerance? The latter is pretty easy for any machine in decent tune.

Sub-$1,000 pretty much only leaves import 7 inch lathes (7X12, 7X14) in your price range. I haven't looked that closely but I don't think ANY of them have a spindle bore of 25 mm or larger. Do keep in mind that a lathe is an investment. If you buy a quality machine, say, $4,000, you are going to be able to sell it down the road for a significant fraction of what you paid. Although, if you got any of us to do a full accounting of all the tooling and accessories that we've purchased to go along with the lathe (collet chucks, drill chucks, live centres, tool holders, inserts, HSS, ...), the dollar value is likely pretty ugly.

Given that you don't plan to use the lathe all that much, is there any chance of connecting with a shared shop? There are several 'maker spaces' around the city. Maybe one has an appropriate lathe and isn't too far away? (Asking a lot, I know.)

Hope this helps,

Craig

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Geez, if it had to make a business case none of us would have lathes :)

Its the old, you want it cheap, convenient and high quality? Pick two. Compared to what you get spending say 2500 on a used lathe, this 7x12 should be priced $199. Its an awkward sized budget, if you can increase it possibilities open up. I guess its easy to spend another guy's money, but tight and precise will allude at 1000 imo. And a 1" spindle bore means you need an oil field desktop lathe lol. Any lathe I can think of fails on at least one your criteria.

The flip side is, if you get something, you get on with having some fun and learning. If proves not be meet all your needs, it doesn't have to be the last or only lathe you get

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks all for a great input.

I'm late to the party but I'd like to add my thoughts to those of others.

Never saw a 7 or 8 inch lathe with an inch bore spindle. Doesn't mean there are none - just means I've never seen one.

No matter whether you buy a $500 lathe or a $2000 lathe, your gunna spend thousands more on tooling.

Precision costs more money than size.

The machinist operating the lathe has more influence on what he makes than the machine does.

Resale value needs to be part of the cost equation.

Availability and patience are also important decision factors.

Space and power also affect choice.

If it was me, I'd aim a little higher and end up net-net the same total cost.

I personally don't think any "hobby lathe" will ever make a realistic business case. Ya gotta hide the weenie to do that. So who are you kidding in the end - yourself? It's actually no different than boats, R/Vs, Cottages, or vacations. We do it because we enjoy it and it makes our lives richer and more satisfying.