• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Milling Half Cylinders into Stock.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
It would be easier on the machine if you stick the bar stock out the side of the vice. Use a center cutting endmill and plunge about half of it into the part. First lock the quill and then move the table up. You need a rigid setup for this operation because only half of the endmill is in the cut. If you don't have a knee mill I would try using a ballnose endmill and mill across the part in a few cuts. That's just what I would try. There are many ways to achieve that feature.

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Please take a picture of it setup on your mill. I'd love to learn more about the machining capabilities of your mini mill.

kylemp

A 5C collet block would probably be best, especially if you are doing multiples. If not, you need to clamp them and come down at it and use the side flutes to cut.. just make sure you allow for a finishing pass and if you can you should probably be climb milling. Be careful about the stick out though as I imagine that you will end up with a lot of deflection without a tailstock set up.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I'm planning on moving forward with this project tonight. @Janger was kind enough to show me his shop and help me cut up some steel to manageable sizes over the weekend. Now I have appropriately sized peices to work with. :D

Will be sure to take lots of pics of the setup and success/failure (haha)

JW

jbrownslms

I have used ball nose burrs from a die grinder with the same efect as a ball nose end mill, just slower feed, less depth of cut and faster rpm.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I would like to see the ball bur in action on a milling machine. That is a neat idea. Might be pretty handy on a CNC Mill for rounding off edges.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I would like to see the ball bur in action on a milling machine. That is a neat idea. Might be pretty handy on a CNC Mill for rounding off edges.

Agreed, it's not something I would have considered. I did read the other day about using wood router bits in a milling machine / lathe to some success (They commonly have carbide cutting edges from what I hear)

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
First plunge cut went well. My oversize milling vise did a good job of work holding.

Will post full project pics in a bit here.

JW