• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Marketplace cylinder square

trevj

Ultra Member
I'm as "hobby machinist" as it gets. I have yet to see one and the name and shape implied (to me) that is was for checking the squareness of a bored cylinder.

I surrender.
Nah, don't quit, just keep on learning new, interesting things! :) Seriously!

As was pointed out to me many times in my life, Ignorance is not stupid. Stupid, is refusing to correct ignorance!

Someone always knows more about something, than any of the rest of us might. Sometimes we may be that person, sometimes not...

One of my ex Brother-In-Laws, trained in Engine rebuilding. For what he was expected to know and be able to do, they sure paid like crap! If you read up on why engines get 'blueprinted' you start to gain a pretty deep appreciation for just how much accuracy can be built in to the equipment used! And you soon figure out that production tolerances, esp., in the past, were no great screaming shakes, as far as tightness goes! Part of why we are not still rebuilding engines at 30,000 miles...

The neat thing about a cylinder square is that if you can prove that your lathe turns without a taper (ie: accurately measuring the top and bottom diameters, and finding them the same as any randomly chosen location, as long as you can put a reasonably square edge (face it, a perfectly square edge is best, but perfect, well,...) on the ends, you build a pretty decent cylindrical or cylinder square.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Nah, don't quit, just keep on learning new, interesting things! :) Seriously!

As was pointed out to me many times in my life, Ignorance is not stupid. Stupid, is refusing to correct ignorance!

Someone always knows more about something, than any of the rest of us might. Sometimes we may be that person, sometimes not...

One of my ex Brother-In-Laws, trained in Engine rebuilding. For what he was expected to know and be able to do, they sure paid like crap! If you read up on why engines get 'blueprinted' you start to gain a pretty deep appreciation for just how much accuracy can be built in to the equipment used! And you soon figure out that production tolerances, esp., in the past, were no great screaming shakes, as far as tightness goes! Part of why we are not still rebuilding engines at 30,000 miles...

The neat thing about a cylinder square is that if you can prove that your lathe turns without a taper (ie: accurately measuring the top and bottom diameters, and finding them the same as any randomly chosen location, as long as you can put a reasonably square edge (face it, a perfectly square edge is best, but perfect, well,...) on the ends, you build a pretty decent cylindrical or cylinder square.

Tried that - its OK, I forgot to bring it to a meeting so people can tell me how bad it is.

I think my other square will just cheat and use the grinding on the shaft of the hydraulic cylinder. This is quite precise. Maybe not a million of an inch but quite good. Then I do proper grind of both ends just like if I was Dabbler.