• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Mangled Threads

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Ontario.

Tell us - Why did you title your intro "mangled threads?

50north

Premium Member
Welcome from Ontario.

Tell us - Why did you title your intro "mangled threads?
I was trying to do some inside threads on some hdpe yesterday. One of our hummingbird feeders had the top screw cap fail and the body is made of glass and I don't like throwing things out and prefer glass. I measured the thread pitch and then tried to figure out the correct settings on the lathe. Somehow I managed to get it to work and saved something from the trash. The outcome could've been mangled threads very easily ;-) I also have a 12x36 Lathe, 4'x5' precix CNC Router Table, DC Tig and Miller Wire Feed. Still looking for an affordable, to me anyway, Mill....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
One of our hummingbird feeders had the top screw cap fail and the body is made of glass and I don't like throwing things out and prefer glass.

Very Cool. We share a similar affection for glass feeders and rescuing useful things. If you make another cap, put a cup on the other end and fill that with water to stop the ants from reaching the sugar water.

Just today I was watching a dozen hummers fighting over a feeder and competing with some bigger orioles.

50north

Premium Member
Here is the pic of the happy bird and the blue fabricated top which hasn't fallen off yet! Now how does that go, happy bird, happy wife, happy life ;-)
Thanks for all the greetings and welcomes, most appreciated. I will get a membership! If you are ever golfing at Rivershore near Kamloops, you have a place with some refreshments waiting for you. B.T.W. it was 4 tpi and my lathe did go that slow ;-)

Attachments

• HB.png
    HB.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Tecnico

(Dave)
Welcome from the east coast!

Another thumbs up on the hummer feeder, always good to use the tools to keep something out of the landfill!

I think I see a Lancair 320 there, you build that? You’re in good company here, there are builders & pilots in the woodwork.

D :cool:

50north

Premium Member

Another thumbs up on the hummer feeder, always good to use the tools to keep something out of the landfill!

I think I see a Lancair 320 there, you build that? You’re in good company here, there are builders & pilots in the woodwork.

Good eyes! It's a Lancair 360 that I built ten years ago and it's still waiting for it's final paint job! Hoping to get it into the shop this year and re-do the wiring/electronics. The picture was taken in Valemount near the Rockies when I attended a historical presentation from the Jasper and Valemount Railway Societies at Lucerne which was a terminal for the Canadian Northern Railway (pre-CN).

Last edited:

Tecnico

(Dave)
Good eyes! It's a Lancair 360 that I built ten years ago and it's still waiting for it's final paint job! Hoping to get it into the shop this year and re-do the wiring/electronics.

You may not have finish paint but you are flying it which is more than I can say so good for you! Spent some time on it today though, laying out where the control stick supports will go. It's a Murphy Elite.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member

OK. Where? I don't see it in the bird feeder photo.