The project is to produce identical stub pins, made from engineering plastic (Acetal-PTFE, IGUS W300 etc) with a properly formed hemispherical end.
Yes, I know a CNC lathe can do this, but this is my cheap approach.
The pins fit into a large 316 ring. Each pin has an outer plastic shell and an inner SS316 slug. I need 12 of these.

This is the form tool:
24mm annular cutter, boring 1/8 x 25mm CRS


The shank is 3/8 CRS, recessed to fit the cutter

Hot glue applied


No images - but the next stage is to case harden the cutter using CherryRed.
The cutter is heated to dull red, coated with the powder and cooked at cherry red heat for 5 mins then quenched and tempered.
The top face of the tool is set about 1mm below centre to provide the relief.

🙂
Yes, I know a CNC lathe can do this, but this is my cheap approach.
The pins fit into a large 316 ring. Each pin has an outer plastic shell and an inner SS316 slug. I need 12 of these.

This is the form tool:
24mm annular cutter, boring 1/8 x 25mm CRS


The shank is 3/8 CRS, recessed to fit the cutter

Hot glue applied


No images - but the next stage is to case harden the cutter using CherryRed.
The cutter is heated to dull red, coated with the powder and cooked at cherry red heat for 5 mins then quenched and tempered.
The top face of the tool is set about 1mm below centre to provide the relief.

🙂