• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Magnetic parallel holders, $15, Windsor, ON

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
1d606891-a374-4d06-908e-a6afc88afcbd

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Seems kinda gimmicky to me. As if standing a parallel up is too darn challenging......

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Keeps them from flopping over - I think it's a good idea. 3D printed. I'm going to make some. I usually use a couple of 'springs' made from metal strapping to hold the parallels up. I have another version of this - 3d printed parallel holders for the lathe chuck.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
3d printed parallel holder. A few magnets grips the parallel and a few more on the bottom keep it in place. You could use these on the mill vise too but I meant for them to be used as a stop on the lathe chuck.

1709411386865.png

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Seems kinda gimmicky to me. As if standing a parallel up is too darn challenging......
I find that the parallel against the fixed jaw usually stays in place. The one on the movable jaw frequently falls over upon opening.

Edit: My only concern is that they'll be a chip magnet...

Last edited:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I save almost every bit of steel strapping that comes through the shop. That's what I use for parallel keepers. I have even ground some into actual parallels too. I want as few magnets in the shop as possible. Near chips anyway. Drives me nuts.

I might have to pause that thought, and print some like Jangers though. I like that idea. I have a couple spiders, but still like parallels sometimes though.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You could use these on the mill vise too but I meant for them to be used as a stop on the lathe chuck.

I missed that. I had thought you meant on a mill vise. Yes, on the lathe they make sense. Someday I'll make myself some decent spiders. It's that or make the buttons that some guys use with machine screws into the chuck face.

ChazzC

John, I like these as another pair of hands for setups in a lathe chuck – can you share the STL file(s)?

Thanks,

Charlie

ChazzC

slicers do use 3Dmf files. At least the prusa slicer and Bambu ones do.
Thanks: I just tried loading it and Cura seems OK with the file type, but it's too big for my Lulzbot Mini (6x6 bed). If I ask nicely could you reduce the length of the holders (pretty please)? My 3D resource is TinkerCAD, which doesn't support 3Dmf.