• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking for foundry to cast brass in SW Ontario

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
That Centrifugal Casting looks labour intensive and the casting temperatures may cause problems of thermal stress cracks.
Do you have to PREHEAT your pipe mould to reduce the impact of fast cooling ?
I would expect there would be a lot of internal stresses from differential cooling between the outside pipe surface and the inside diameter.
If so . . .
You maybe looking at stress relieving the parts afterward.

carlo1776

Brand New Member
Hi all,

I've searched without success to find a Canadian source for simple, thick-walled (0.25") brass tube in diameters from 2" to 3". 6" lengths. I'd turn to final profiles on a lathe. I'm planning to make bezels for gauges.

So, I have a lot of brass bits and bobs and thought casting could be the answer. Does anybody know of a friendly foundry in Ontario, west of Toronto? The mold would be very simple.

Thank you all
These guys are in Merrickville near Smith's Falls

poulin

Hey,

For you who are looking for a steel supplier, i suggest to have a look here. They offer different types of steel and their delivery services are quite fast I think.

Hope this help someone

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
if your budget for a 12" of brass pipe is a whopping $200 then I would just go to China and order what you need. Shipping would take few weeks and especially if you buy sheet you would pay way, way less. You may have to settle for metric sizes through and machine to imperial size as needed.

I doubt anyone in Canada would cast a pipe shape of 12" in brass for under $200.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi all,

I've searched without success to find a Canadian source for simple, thick-walled (0.25") brass tube in diameters from 2" to 3". 6" lengths. I'd turn to final profiles on a lathe. I'm planning to make bezels for gauges.

So, I have a lot of brass bits and bobs and thought casting could be the answer. Does anybody know of a friendly foundry in Ontario, west of Toronto? The mold would be very simple.

Thank you all
Would solid 2" brass bar work for you?

LenVW

Premium Member
Aliexpress has a listing for Brass Tubing.

Big-Dia-5-50mm-Brass-Tube-Thick-wall-Pipe-Model-Tubing-Big-diameter-high-pressure-resistant.jpg_80x80.jpg_.webp

Big-Dia-5-50mm-Brass-Tube-Thick-wall-Pipe-Model-Tubing-Big-diameter-high-pressure-resistant.jpg_80x80.jpg_.webp

Big Dia 5~50mm Brass Tube Thick wall Pipe Model Tubing Big diameter high pressure resistant thick brass pipe​

Specifications :
OD 5 x ID 3mm
OD 5 x ID 2mm
OD 6 x ID 4mm
OD 6 x ID 3mm
OD 8 x ID 6mm
OD 8 x ID 4mm
OD 10 x ID 6mm
OD 10 x ID 4mm
OD 12 x ID 10mm
OD 12 x ID 8mm
OD 12 x ID 6mm
OD 14 x ID 8mm
OD 16 x ID 12mm
OD 16 x ID 10mm
OD 16 x ID 8mm
OD 20 x ID 16mm
OD 20 x ID 14mm
OD 20 x ID 10mm
OD 25 x ID 22mm
OD 25 x ID 15mm
OD 30 x ID 26mm
OD 30 x ID 20mm
OD 32 x ID 28mm
OD 32 x ID 24mm
OD 35 x ID 32mm
OD 40 x ID 36mm
OD 40 x ID 34mm
OD 50 x ID 46mm

I also reached out to McKinnon Metals in Woodbridge.
They did stock Brass Bars, I sent in a message asking about tubing.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Aliexpress has a listing for Brass Tubing.

Big Dia 5~50mm Brass Tube Thick wall Pipe Model Tubing Big diameter high pressure resistant thick brass pipe​

Specifications :
OD 5 x ID 3mm
OD 5 x ID 2mm
OD 6 x ID 4mm
OD 6 x ID 3mm
OD 8 x ID 6mm
OD 8 x ID 4mm
OD 10 x ID 6mm
OD 10 x ID 4mm
OD 12 x ID 10mm
OD 12 x ID 8mm
OD 12 x ID 6mm
OD 14 x ID 8mm
OD 16 x ID 12mm
OD 16 x ID 10mm
OD 16 x ID 8mm
OD 20 x ID 16mm
OD 20 x ID 14mm
OD 20 x ID 10mm
OD 25 x ID 22mm
OD 25 x ID 15mm
OD 30 x ID 26mm
OD 30 x ID 20mm
OD 32 x ID 28mm
OD 32 x ID 24mm
OD 35 x ID 32mm
OD 40 x ID 36mm
OD 40 x ID 34mm
OD 50 x ID 46mm

I also reached out to McKinnon Metals in Woodbridge.
They did stock Brass Bars, I sent in a message asking about tubing.
Depending on the amount you would need I probably could sell you some 2" solid bar cheaper than you are likely to find it elsewhere.

LenVW

Premium Member
Dave,
I heard back from McKinnon Metals.
They would sell a 12” pc of 3” Brass Alloy tubing 1/16” wall for $350.

You could also check . . .

Peckovers​

2195 Langstaff Road
Concord, ON L4K 5C6 Canada
Phone: 905-669-9444
Fax: 905-738-9033

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Dave,

Peckovers​

Jezz, you could buy solid brass bar for less, machine it to what you want, and then sell the swarf. With the right tools, you might even be able to cut a 2" core out of it.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
My god, prices in CA are out of this world. I melted some brass but most of my stock is in the 1 1/4" in bars.

Best bet would be from ali or buy off someone local.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Dave,

Peckovers​

2195 Langstaff Road
Concord, ON L4K 5C6 Canada
Phone: 905-669-9444
Fax: 905-738-9033
Good lord! I think I'd sell 2" solid for half that.

LenVW

Premium Member
Good lord! I think I'd sell 2" solid for half that.
Why not buy some thin plate and ‘Roll Form’ the 3” Dia tube.
Less expensive, Less processing, No heat deformation.
Seems like a feasible alternative.

(I spoke with a couple of suppliers in the USA who would only sell you brass if you did a minimum order of US$ 250 and then you have to ship the material from Texas or California)

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
No one else liked rolling it? silver solder it properly and you'd never see the joint. Machine to suit.

Also like Gerrit's suggestion of spinning, for a thin section I think he may be right that that is how its done.

There are a lot of good reasons to cast stuff, but my guess is avoiding the cost of the bar stock or tubing isn't one of them. Dave, did you ever get a price from a foundry? Curious what it ended up being.

Last edited:

gerritv

Gerrit
Everyone is entirely missing the point that he said he wants/needs to make bezels. These are thin so pointing to all these sourses of billet/thickwalled brass seem ratherpointelss because he will have great difficutly holding the part once it gets to 18ga or thinner thickness.

It is plain and simple a spinning job, something I learned in Grade 9 in 1962. thin sheet brass, anneal it, make a wooden form and some other simple tools.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Everyone is entirely missing the point that he said he wants/needs to make bezels. These are thin so pointing to all these sourses of billet/thickwalled brass seem ratherpointelss because he will have great difficutly holding the part once it gets to 18ga or thinner thickness.

It is plain and simple a spinning job, something I learned in Grade 9 in 1962. thin sheet brass, anneal it, make a wooden form and some other simple tools.

You missed a REALLY good spinning demo at our Ontario Meetup.....

I missed meeting you.....