• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Looking for an insert

Gennady

Hello folks.
I have this tool holder with insert for cast iron or non-ferrous metals. I am a bit struggling to find any insert for regular steel or aluminum. Wondering if those inserts are even exist for this tool holder or it is specialized for that insert only

IMG_1386.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

IMG_1389.jpeg

IMG_1387.jpeg

$21.92 for a single insert <$$ gasp $$>

I was going to guess Sandvik or Valenite or similar? I'm not sure if there is an exact cross reference where you can find something cheaper/equivalent. That's kind of their game, good quality but unique sizes.
At minimum I would check Ebay for exact size matches. Guessing you can get a surplus pack of 10 for similar $. These may not be exact matches but just as example.

I was going to guess Sandvik or Valenite or similar? I'm not sure if there is an exact cross reference where you can find something cheaper/equivalent. That's kind of their game, good quality but unique sizes.
At minimum I would check Ebay for exact size matches. Guessing you can get a surplus pack of 10 for similar $. These may not be exact matches but just as example.

It says there are ten in the package

I might be wrong , but none of those, are close enough. First has no mounting hole in the centre, second is two sides insert... not sure. not an expert here :eek:

I have this tool holder with insert for cast iron or non-ferrous metals. I am a bit struggling to find any insert for regular steel or aluminum. Wondering if those inserts are even exist for this tool holder or it is specialized for that insert only

If I had your problem, I would go a different way entirely.

I would get a new tool and new inserts on Amazon for less than the cost of inserts at KBC.

I'm gunna catch Royal Blue Hell from a thousand members for this, but I recommend trigon inserts, not triangle. The inserts cost the same, but last longer, and are significantly stronger. I think they can leave a better finish too, but that is easily debated.

These are 5/8 cuz that's what I have, but 3/4, 1/2, and 3/8 are available too. I think you lose the anvil when you go 1/2 or smaller.

LH tool uses same inserts

I think you can get a RH / LH pair. Not sure if it will include 10 inserts.

10 Inserts for Aluminium

The point is that it's cheaper (and better) to dump the tool holder than try to find inserts for it.

I'm with @Susquatch, grab a new holder and inserts

I also run the triagon inserts in a 5/8 holder, very tough insert, I have lh, rh turning as well as lh and rh boring bars for the same insert, so it is cost effective in the long run

I might be wrong , but none of those, are close enough. First has no mounting hole in the centre, second is two sides insert... not sure. not an expert here
Like I mentioned these were not exact matches, just intended examples. I had 'big name' (example Sandvik) on the brain. Some of their sizes are unique to their toolholders. But if the subject toolholder/insert size is a more generic tool, finding good quality inserts is considerably easier. And cheaper.

My point is that N-Am nomenclature typically has an equivalent in Asia/Europe once you know the lingo. For example my CCMT 21.51 might be known as series 0602 series

I'm with @Susquatch, grab a new holder and inserts

I also run the triagon inserts in a 5/8 holder, very tough insert, I have lh, rh turning as well as lh and rh boring bars for the same insert, so it is cost effective in the long run

Agreed. I did the same.

Not only that, but running with anvils gives you 6 cutting points per insert. I never found boring bars with anvils but the insert angle on a boring bar looks after it to serve the same purpose.

When all your tools use the WNMG inserts, you can also afford to get different inserts with a bigger nose radius to improve finish. I only did that for aluminium inserts, but I'll prolly get a set of 10 with a large radius for steel at some point too.

This is standard insert type. should not be more than $1 each or maybe 1.5 each for the cheap stuff on ali.

There are tons available for US stuff on eBay maybe for touch more - like $2 each.

I probably have like 100 of these.

If we are on inserts subject - wondering if there such thing: carbide insert that is sharp (not requiring too much force to cut) and tough at the same :) . Something like a cross between regular insert and sharp aluminum? I am watching lots of youtube on this and see that people are often using aluminum inserts for steel - i tried myself it is not holding up very well.

Also - Susquatch - why trigon is bad ?

If we are on inserts subject - wondering if there such thing: carbide insert that is sharp (not requiring too much force to cut) and tough at the same :) . Something like a cross between regular insert and sharp aluminum? I am watching lots of youtube on this and see that people are often using aluminum inserts for steel - i tried myself it is not holding up very well.

I think this is about managing expectations. Inserts for aluminium are sharp. Therefore they wear fast in steel. Just the way it is and to be expected. For most steel work, I use inserts for steel. But I do use inserts for aluminium on steel when I want to take finer cuts. The inserts for steel like bigger cuts.

Also - Susquatch - why trigon is bad ?

If I gave the impression that trigon are bad, I am sorry. It was not my intent. It's either that or it was a typo. Trigon inserts are my favorite.

what size lather do you have ?
I have 12" Hendey and 10" South Bend . I know that it has to be different sizes of the toolholders, but I hoped I can get away with same insert sizes. I am pure hobbyist - no production, no rush so smaller insert for bigger toolholder is very viable option.

wnmg would work fine on the 12" i would suspect the 10" southbend to do ok with it as well

the 10" i would think should be ok with negative rake inserts of any kind, they are more popular and more economical, a wnmg has 6 cutting sides, compared to 3 on a positive rake insert for the style of tool holder you have, there are also more options for negative rake inserts as they are more popular

as for the tool pressure. it is what it is, unless you want to play with hss....hss in steel is no fun

I have 12" Hendey and 10" South Bend . I know that it has to be different sizes of the toolholders, but I hoped I can get away with same insert sizes. I am pure hobbyist - no production, no rush so smaller insert for bigger toolholder is very viable option.

I agree that single size inserts for both is a VERY worthy goal. Betting they will both take 1/2" tools. If not, then next size down will fit for sure. I wouldn't hesitate to use 1/4 inserts for both if I couldn't make 3/8 inserts fit both. In fact, I'd prolly buy 1/2" tools and mill them down to fit both. Somebody would have to show me a shit ton of research before I would accept a compromise like that for hobby usage.

If you want a sharp insert that lasts in mild steel and has good performance in tool steels as well, get a quality one specifically made for stainless steel. They are both sharp and tough. (They also work well in aluminum).

I have mentioned this elsewhere, @Dabbler, @johnnielsen & I did a compassion some time ago in some mystery mild (?) steel, the TNMG for SS (ISCAR brand) I use was able to take DoC in the tenths range without problems (ie it is sharp) and left a beautiful surface finish at the same time. It can also hog tool steel no problems. I am sure if it was in a production environment, one would use it exclusively for SS. One would use another type for mild & other steels to maximize efficiency and tool life.

In a “ hobby” setting, it might be worth giving SS type inserts a try.

Back