• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Looking for an insert

In a “ hobby” setting, it might be worth giving SS type inserts a try.

I was quite impressed by the work you characters did. It greatly informed my own processes and thinking on the matter. @Dabbler has talked about it with me several times in our conversations too.

But this SS insert advice is new to me. Somehow I missed that. More stuff to learn about!

In the meantime I have a related question. Most of the stainless inserts I've seen are coated. Doesn't the sharp edge cause the coating to wear off prematurely? I'd fully expect sharp to wear faster regardless, so I'm asking specifically about the coating. Or is that work yet to be explored?

Doesn't the sharp edge cause the coating to wear off prematurely?

These high end inserts (and a little pricey too) seem to have a predictable life, probably related to the coating wear. I'm sure @Alexander is the right person to chime in here. My experience with Kinnemetal is that it takes a long time for the coating to wear off. Once that happens, the chips get hotter and the inserts need careful attention to cutting forces (reduced material removal) or the insert will be damaged. It is about 50/50 for me if the tip breaks off or the insert splits in half, in Triangular inserts. I don't have enough data on trigon style inserts to compare it to.

It is about 50/50 for me if the tip breaks off or the insert splits in half, in Triangular inserts. I don't have enough data on trigon style inserts to compare it to.

I think you would like trigon inserts. I have never broken one in half. When they fail, it's almost always the top corner which leaves the bottom intact for another use (6 working edges total).

I'm gunna take break from Honey Do's and see what my stainless edges look like.

Apparently, I don't have any dedicated stainless inserts. Any inserts that I have that are rated for stainless, are also rated for steel. None of them are what I would call sharp. Certainly not nearly as sharp as the same inserts from the same manufacturer for Aluminium.

So, I just ordered some for Stainless with both 04 and 08 tips. An observation will have to wait till they arrive.

I am going to add in this screenshot, which helps in finding inserts. The size and shape follow ISO standards. The chip breaker and the coating are manufacture specific.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240915_084727_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240915_084727_Chrome.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 12
Back