• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Looking for a new Lathe 12x7?

When I am in charge of the planet I intend to criminalize poor customer service :p[/QUOTE]

Make it so! I'm happy to vote for you as it relieves me from fixing all the problems as "supreme dictator of the world". I'm just not sure I'm up to that position anymore.

Now Im lost, am I supposed to buy a Lathe or lingerie? Its so close to christmas i'm getting confused...

KMS has the 7x12 on or 969.00 it has plastic gears and is only imperial? I head lots of complaints about the plastic gears and then someone mentioned that they only come into play when threading?

Is there a conversion kit to metric for these 7x12's?

Now Im lost, am I supposed to buy a Lathe or lingerie? Its so close to christmas i'm getting confused...

KMS has the 7x12 on or 969.00 it has plastic gears and is only imperial? I head lots of complaints about the plastic gears and then someone mentioned that they only come into play when threading?

I believe "Little Machine Shop"
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3448

Little Machine shop has metal change gear sets for 7X12 machines. I don't know if they have gears sets specifically for metric threading. Have a poke around the site and see what you can find.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3938&category=1

BTB - LMS is the go to place for mini-lathe accessories and spare parts. Great folks to deal with, but exchange and shipping is a killer.

Last edited:
The King I mentioned above is a new lathe, in Vancouver. With negotiation, I'm pretty sure you can get them to wave (most of) the shipping charge. Saves import duties, import fees, and maybe most of the shipping costs.

I'm not big on King myself, especially their smaller lathes. But this is a similar lathe for price comparison.

I started with a 12X37 lathe from Taiwan, back in '81. I never regretted it's extra size and weight.

Last edited:
[Update] TomK: I wouldn't trust the seller at the link you provided. Their only metal working thing seems to be that lathe. They also sell exercise balls, dumbbells and msc household goods (Probably lingerie, too, I didn't check). Better to pay a little more and buy from a seller that might have replacement parts and service, and maybe support.

Of course 12 x 32 would be way better choice even for twice the money and even if used a bit but in good shape.

Replacement parts are standard - it does not matter whom sells the lathe as long as the price is low and you get working lathe. I would not trust BB not KMS with any support besides given price difference you can "self support".

I agree about BB and KMS. There are about 100 dealers across Canada, many of them and quite good. Lexmark, in Vancouver at least doesn't sell lingerie. (oh and will support after purchase)

This Old Tony discusses one he purchased, pros & cons, followup vids with upgrades, gears, spindle bearings...
I think Yahoo Groups is officially kaput now or they are now asking for subscription fees for what surely be the Betamax of discussion forums . Anyways there was a mini lathe user group & they had all sorts of intel, upgrades, what to watch out for.

Well processing all the comments and videos, I am leaning towards the SIEG C3 7x14 Mini Lathe from Little machine shop, but going to check out BB just for a sense of what is.
There is something about this guy though that peaks my interest.... https://www.ebay.ca/itm/202407948214
I really like the SIEG C3 7x14 Mini Lathe mostly because it is metric which is what I work in.

This is really pushing the limits of space though???

Sieg is a good choice. a very good name, with a reputation to protect.

Doing a few searches for lathes in that class and looking up a review (only 1) points to this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Mophorn-Preci...nches&linkCode=gs3&qid=1576228729&s=hi&sr=1-2

based on this review:

https://healthyhandyman.com/best-mini-metal-lathes/

-- looks like $799 with free shipping.

I dunno. Hard to say, but this leaves you some extra for tooling. Over a short time, you will spend at least half the machine's cost in tooling, and ultimately you are likely to double the tool's cost from buying tooling.

FWIW: I bought a $2000 lathe in 1982. I spent about 300$ in the first year just to make chips and do a few small projects. I spent double that in the next year. By now I have about $3000 in tooling for it, including tool posts tools, carbide, drill chucks, adapters etc. It adds up fast. -- Much faster for a milling machine!

Anyway that's the best I can do, I have never used a really small lathe.

Yup. And less expensive than Snap On. Their rulers are for $25 I hear.

And then there is Busy Bee, who—on their home page—references their "sister" company Age Comfort, which sells medical supples such as urinals, bedpans, and colostomy supplies.

I don't get it.

Suddenly lingerie in a tool store is the better option.
I’d have to look closer at the invoice but I believe a Snap On 27mm wrench was $120 or so

Yes. One wrench. $120

There are reasons I don’t look too close at the invoices

Back