• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Looking for a lathe

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My mistake this is the lathe we discussed on another thread. Check the site glasses. bad seals, A common problem for those models in that era. I value it at around 800 bucks because of the rust, neglect and bad seals. You can do better for 1500.

[edit] maybe I'm being harsh, but this lathe will need a complete rebuild clean, relube before use. Changing the seals is VERY hard. I only know one guy that managed it, and his bearings almost dropped out.

Last edited:

Lincoln

My mistake this is the lathe we discussed on another thread. Check the site glasses. bad seals, A common problem for those models in that era. I value it at around 800 bucks because of the rust, neglect and bad seals. You can do better for 1500.

[edit] maybe I'm being harsh, but this lathe will need a complete rebuild clean, relube before use. Changing the seals is VERY hard. I only know one guy that managed it, and his bearings almost dropped out.
Good to know

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Brent H Mine was actually made in Taiwan -- it is a clone of a postwar UK Colchester where the spindle is 82mm, but the spindle thread is 8TPI -- yes, it is a bastard. That makes it easier to trace. If the one in the ad has empty sight glasses, it is likely a Taiwanese one also. The Chinese clones fixed the seal problem. but cheapened the gears and workmanship. If a guy wanted a project lathe it is a decent one. It is just a lot of work, around 200 hrs to refirb it.

'alincochrane' a former member, had one from 3 years after mine and his seals worked perfectly all these years.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow that's clean. Looks like there's a 4-jaw chuck sitting on the mill table in his other listing.
I have no knowledge of that model but it's definitely worth a look.
Were it me I'd see if he'd do a deal on both machines.

John Conroy

Premium Member
It will do metric and imperial threads using the supplied change gears but will have a limited range of feed speed choices as it uses the same lead screw for threading and feeding the carriage.

CT089 thread chart.png

John Conroy

Premium Member
The CT054 mill he's selling is a nice small machine. A little smaller than the CX603 Busy Bee sells now but still mad in Taiwan. It has a 6 X 26 table instead of the newer machine's 8 X 30 but they are the same weight within 30 lbs

Hell if you buy the 40 ton Terex dump truck he has for $135000 he might throw in the mill and the lathe!