• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Looking for a lathe

Lincoln

Hey guys,
New to the forum, thank you too the administrators for getting me in.

I am on the search for a lathe ( about two years now) curious if any of you guys have any leads or looking to move into a new unit and want to sell your old one.
Will consider almost anything that cuts a thread at this point.
Excluding 3 phase machines.

Thank you.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome to the forum.

What size lathe? Why not 3 phase? Where are you located? Price range?

This info makes it easier for us to help you look for something suitable.

Lincoln

10x22 minimum and if price is right 12x36, I'm in Alberta will travel some distance.
And no 3 phase because I don't want to deal with a phase converter. Price range depends on machine.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
10x22 minimum and if price is right 12x36, I'm in Alberta will travel some distance.
And no 3 phase because I don't want to deal with a phase converter. Price range depends on machine.
I was nervous about 3-phase too but honestly a VFD is a simple solution that can open up a wider range of options.
I'm running two VFDs, one for my mill and one for my surface grinder. I never even think about them now.

Lincoln

Thank you but I'm avoiding until I upgrade the power supply in my house and my shop, not as much about the 3 phase itself and just the demands on power a machine let's say 3hp wants.

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
I've have a question - which brand of VFD has a good rep for cost vs reliability? I've had the 220V 1Ph Transformer upgraded as well as the breaker on the pole due to the then battle of the oven and clothes dryer duking it out with the compressor and welder scenario. At present my requirements are for a 220V 3Ph Mill < 5hp ?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've have a question - which brand of VFD has a good rep for cost vs reliability? I've had the 220V 1Ph Transformer upgraded as well as the breaker on the pole due to the then battle of the oven and clothes dryer duking it out with the compressor and welder scenario. At present my requirements are for a 220V 3Ph Mill < 5hp ?

I’ve had excellent service from Teco Westinghouse VFDs.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I am on the search for a lathe ( about two years now) curious if any of you guys have any leads or looking to move into a new unit and want to sell your old one.
Thank you.

Have you tried a wanted ad on your local Kijiji? I have one running in Ontario and had a reply yesterday that sounds interesting but unfortunately, all in Southern Ontario, way too far to go, given the current travel restrictions.
I have ran wanted ads for much of my shop tools. People will often reply to one rather than post an ad, especially if they do not know what they have exactly, like liquidating an estate. That was the reply I had yesterday.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey guys,
New to the forum, thank you too the administrators for getting me in.

Will consider almost anything that cuts a thread at this point.
Excluding 3 phase machines.

Thank you.
Welcome. We will keep our eyes open for you. This is a good place to post ads also so you're covering important ground with your membership

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Want ads do work, it took about three months for me but I finally got a call about the lathe I was looking for and bought it.
x3 on the TECO VFD, I wasn't looking to rewire either but it wasn't difficult (for my machine) and being able to tweak the speed is a bonus. As for the power, at 240volt a 5hp motor will draw just over 15 amps so if you stay in the 2 hp range the demand under 10 amps.

Chipper5783

Welcome to the forum. It would help if you described a little more of what you are looking for in a lathe. Granted "excluding 3 phase" narrows the field a lot, and generally means a pretty small machine. Of course larger single phase motors (i.e. 10 HP or even more) are available, but one is paying quite a bit and it comes with the problems of being a single phase motor. Unless the power is managed by an onboard frequency drive (like the Haas TL1 or TL2) then you'd be looking for something small (i.e. under 2HP), something that someone else has already modded, or deal with the mods yourself (which as others have pointed out, is not a big deal).

More details will allow us to provide a more detailed response. David

Lincoln

No 3 phase
10x22 minimum
12x36 would be probably as large as id go
Id lean towards a newer machine over a older machine.
Mostly looking to be able to prototype and produce small parts for jdm cars.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
So single phase, plug and play with tooling.
110volt or 240volt? 240volt will be easier on your power panel, get you more hp at less amperage. A 12x36 shouldn't run any more than 2hp and 7 to 8 amps using 240volts.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
+1 on the TECO/westinghouse thing. Their support guys are great!

On the King, I dunno... seems a little high to me

New price at KMS is 4999... I'm more used to used prices; Shipping weight with stand it is 1080 lbs, si it is identical to my 12X37 in weight. It comes with almost everything to get you started. Shipping might hurt a little...

It looks like a BXA tool holder, but you would have to check that. Since the Modern tool 14" lathe has gone way up in price, it might be a good deal...

If you want a greater risk/better bang for the buick, there's a Busy Bee 1237G lathe in Ottawa for 1500$