• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Billy

Not interested in a "Kent milling machine"

Other than that if you have one please let me know, otherwise, I'll be "forced" lol to buy a new cx603.

I live in Saskatoon but could road trip to AB for the right fit.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I am currently waiting for photo's from a buddy of mine of a "big but old mill"(in his words) that his recently deceased father had in his shop (Rural cent AB).

Again, in his words, "big and old, 3 phase motor (HP unknown at this time) with at least a 40" table".

He and his brother are cleaning the shop out for a renter to use so there will be other stuff as well (60" bed lathe from Modern Tool, manuf unknown at this time, and a band saw). Will advise the forum when I know more.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
That's a pricy outlay for a Craftex CX603 knee mill even if you run to AB to acquire same then throw in GST, and the round trip. Be patient Billy something really nice will pop up out of the blue. However should retired shop teachers have deep pockets go for it. LOL

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Phoned the guy yesterday trying to hurry up the info a bit but not going to happen for a week or two now...."Lawyer stuff" has to be handled apparently before anything can be touched, much to his vocal "chagrin" I might add.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
an update...The mill my buddy has is a "Victoria model V1 Vertical Miller". The photo he sent me is not a good one but I have googled the make & came up with a description & photos. Don't have a ser # so cant detail a birthday but from his photo I would guess late 40's or anytime in the 50's. Google says 2300 lbs. of goodness if someone wants to cart this home. Photo shows fresh chips on the table so it must run to some extent.
He is bantering about a price of $1500 right now...what say the more informed on this forum?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Post the photo. Sounds like a steal if it's in reasonable shape but the 3 phase motor will turn off most. buy a VFD and that problem is both solved and now you have variable speed.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Need photos. If in good condition its a great deal.

A similar sized mill went for auction a week ago in Calgary and sold for 2500 with fees - made in Taiwan in 1989. Vari speed head.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
this is a nice machine if you can get it. More sturdy than a Bridgeport.... Here's a video of it:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
That appears to be the same model of machine in my photo.
If somebody wants to PM me a textable phone # I will forward the photo's to be downloaded.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Not interested in a "Kent milling machine"

Other than that if you have one please let me know, otherwise, I'll be "forced" lol to buy a new cx603.

I live in Saskatoon but could road trip to AB for the right fit.
this one had been up for 16 days. Listed in Saskatoon. Have you had a chance to look at it? I wish I could get one that size, but i do not have the room, or the disposable cash for that one.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Unless its total trash or something its a great price! I mean 1500 - what can you buy with such pocket change today?

Its similar to my Kerney&Tucker #2E - I use it as horizontal only but it comes with a small head that can be used as a vertical - main issue is there is no quil.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
From the photo I have of it, this mill is a long ways from a "restored" condition.

Toms photo doesn't have the hand wheel that is in the photo that I have, Dabblers vid shows one as well so think this mill might have quill of some sort.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
A quill adds a lot of value to a mill - as drilling is a very common operation. Drilling without a quill is possible with the table but is rather ... painful - especially if you need to drill a lot of holes. I have not tried it with a power feed but I think the speed range of power feed is simply not well suited for a lot of operations in addition - at least going up.