• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking for a decent protractor

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm surprised that your favorite is the bevel protractor. I'll have to google how the "BEVEL" function works.

Which one is the "Chrome" one?

You have a track car?
The Starrett chrome protractor is the bottom unit.

It's a 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i, that started life as a family car, and morphed into a very capable track car, except for power (non-turbo). I unfortunately have a propensity for expensive hobbies: guns, photography, cars, triathlon, and of course tools. No wonder I'm poor!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is what I use.

Google is amazing. I hate it and I love it.

@Dabbler uses the same one.

A few moments ago, a Mitutoyo popped up in my Google Feed and I messaged the guy and committed to buy it for his asking price of $20. No haggling. Hoping to drive over to see him as soon as I get a reply.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The Starrett chrome protractor is the bottom unit.

It's a 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i, that started life as a family car, and morphed into a very capable track car, except for power (non-turbo). I unfortunately have a propensity for expensive hobbies: guns, photography, cars, triathlon, and of course tools. No wonder I'm poor!

The richness of our lives matters much more than any cash in the bank.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
These are handy sometimes, but very sensitive.
Digital Angle Gauge Level Box Protractor| Digital Inclinometer Angle Finder Magnetic Base for Woodworking | Building Drilling Machinery Picture Hanging | Micro Jig |Table Saw (Black) https://a.co/d/7E6DszQ

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well, here it is. I really don't think it was ever used. The ruler is still in the paper wrap with no sign of ever having been taken out. The kit is in the old Styrofoam packaging so prolly 20 years old. Even has the scribe that @Brent H mentioned in the other thread. On first blush, it seems very well made and in perfect condition. Well worth the $20 that I paid for it (plus $20 in fuel).

20220627_115432.jpg

As a completely unexpected bonus, he also had this inside/outside micrometer for sale for another 20 so I scooped that too. It has been well used but is in GREAT condition!

20220627_115546.jpg

I did order the General Protractor that many of you liked, and I may see if I can find a bevel protractor like @thestelster prefers.

In the meantime, I feel like my immediate needs are totally satisfied. Thanks to everyone who rendered suggestions and opinions.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well, here it is. I really don't think it was ever used. The ruler is still in the paper wrap with no sign of ever having been taken out. The kit is in the old Styrofoam packaging so prolly 20 years old. Even has the scribe that @Brent H mentioned in the other thread. On first blush, it seems very well made and in perfect condition. Well worth the $20 that I paid for it (plus $20 in fuel).

View attachment 24669

As a completely unexpected bonus, he also had this inside/outside micrometer for sale for another 20 so I scooped that too. It has been well used but is in GREAT condition!

View attachment 24670

I did order the General Protractor that many of you liked, and I may see if I can find a bevel protractor like @thestelster prefers.

In the meantime, I feel like my immediate needs are totally satisfied. Thanks to everyone who rendered suggestions and opinions.
You son of a gun. You should be embarrassed to show off like that!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Neighbour was over and saw my new General Protractor and immediately complained about the equivalent Mitutoyo I gave him. The General has the same problem as the Mitutoyo. Zero is not zero and no way to calibrate. So I offered to try and fix both and then give him back a calibrated General. He was happy with that.

So here are photos:

20220713_121715~2.jpg 20220713_121730~2.jpg 20220713_121907~3.jpg

All of the photos suffer from a little parallax, and the index mark on the wiper on the General is a bit wide, but I have done my best to align them.

Now how to fix them.....

I have a surface grinder now.

I'm thinking about clamping them in a grinding vice and grinding both sections simultaneously at zero. Might be fun dancing at the end of the ruler but I could use a little fun right now...... (Insert photo of nose growing here)

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch if you have a diamond plate it would take no time at all and be easy to hone off the offending bit.
I have a Trend plate which is flat to .0005 with 300 gr on one side and 1000 gr on the other. It would make sort work of that.
Fixturing on a surface grinder would be tricky but possible.

I'm curious what the offset is at the opposite 180 degree mark.

All that said @whydontu post is spot on. Is it accurate at 90 degrees?

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm curious what the offset is at the opposite 180 degree mark.

Calibrate at 90* No-one ever measures a 0* angle.

I am embarrassed to admit I didn't think to do something so obvious. Thank you guys for yanking me down to earth.

The general is out the same amount at all three angles. I "believe" that means the blade has truly parallel sides. It just needs some correction. I'm no longer sure that grinding is the answer. There are two edges in the ruler.

However, the Mitutoyo is a bit wierd. It is as shown at the left zero, but perfect at 90 and out at 180 again. I'm having some old man brain fog over how that can happen. Unfortunately another complicated issue has assumed priority in my core processing unit right now. Prolly need to sleep on it.