• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking for a decent protractor

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sometimes I just want to take a quick angle measurement. I don't want to use an indicator and trigonometry. And I don't want to use a plastic protractor either.

I have a US General Protractor that looks like this, but the flat arm is not in line with the base which makes it difficult to use effectively and the calibration is both off and non adjustable. In other words it is almost junk.

20220626_190747.jpg

What do you use? Any recommendations?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Try this.....

I had one like that. A mitutoyo no less. It was out a full degree. I never understood how a mitutoyo could be like that but it goes to show even the best name can have poor quality. I liked it other than that but gave it away to a neighbour who wanted it despite its flaws.

Do you have one? Is it accurate?

This is what I use.

This is what I use.

I have a similar set (not Mitutoyo though), which protractors I use depend on the application include the one @Susquatch initially posted. Believe it or not this is more designed for drill bit measurement and used as such will do very well (provided it was manufactured correctly and depends on the luck of the draw).

All joking aside it comes down to the user and their mastery of the tools they use.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
These are what I have. I use Starrett Uni-Bevel protractor (in the wooden box) 90% of the time. The chrome protractor is handy, but also useless. The combination set very handy, mostly for wood working. The Fowler Digital level for measuring camber on my track car. The plastic true angles for drawings.

Attachments

• 20220627_075829.jpg
    20220627_075829.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a similar set (not Mitutoyo though), which protractors I use depend on the application include the one @Susquatch initially posted. Believe it or not this is more designed for drill bit measurement and used as such will do very well (provided it was manufactured correctly and depends on the luck of the draw).

All joking aside it comes down to the user and their mastery of the tools they use.
I'm not sure that the one the @Susquatch
shows is for drill bits, but this one is (which I've almost never use!)

Attachments

• 20220627_083335.jpg
    20220627_083335.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 7

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have both of those, but if I want accuracy, I use this: (sorry for the fuzzy phone)

View attachment 24664
This is EXACTLY what I am after. Something big enough to lay against a big part and strong enough to handle my farm equipment related work!

In the meantime, I think I will also get one like @Degen & @Chip Maker recommended too. I like the round head version: hopefully it won't suffer from the quality problems these things seem to have.

General Tools & Instruments 18 Round Head Protractor https://a.co/d/jjs0DnU

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
His favourite phrase was Try This so the field adjustors got him a special number as a direct line.

;)

I'm going to call him and tell him I was just trying word letter combinations to see what answered......... ;)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
These are what I have. I use Starrett Uni-Bevel protractor (in the wooden box) 90% of the time. The chrome protractor is handy, but also useless. The combination set very handy, mostly for wood working. The Fowler Digital level for measuring camber on my track car. The plastic true angles for drawings.

I'm surprised that your favorite is the bevel protractor. I'll have to google how the "BEVEL" function works.

Which one is the "Chrome" one?

You have a track car?