• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking at new lathe -- Opinions and Options

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Nice find - if he can remove the "new" condition on a lathe this one can be had for half his budget. If it is indeed in like new condition the extra 4k can go towards tooling or an upgraded milling machine or future CNC.

There is no DRO on this one but I do see tapering attachment on the back. Chinese DRO for a lathe is at most $300 & BXA QCTP is around 250 for a set. Also doesn't include a handy light at the top - which could be extra $100 (I got mine used for $50).

buckbrush

If your not in a hurry, there is a part time machine tool dealer who can save you a lot over Modern tool prices. He sells mostly in Saskatchawan but does ship to Calgary.

Bob Yaworski yawor@sasktel.net

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think Alex was referring to 'in Calgary'. The OP was asking about options in the city.
But yes, always have to factor in the FOB price plus shipping expense.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I talked to someone at the meeting where Alex was at Modern few months back that the shipping of his CNC was indeed free but it has been around a month & he still didn't get it. He even showed his machine on the warehouse floor. He said he paid for it already. Not sure how much that matters to the OP but just thrown it out given the company & what I was told.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
A lot of factors affect shipping delays. I would rather hear from the buyer him/her self on the matter for a complete story.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
The machine Tom is referring to was being set up and there were a few things that needed extra calibration. When you buy a machine Modern will test it before it leaves the building. The customer also ordered a power drawbar which did not come standard on that machine. My CNC lathe was the same experience it took a little longer then expected to get it ready but they were troubleshooting the tool changer for almost 2 days. CNC adds a new level of complexity. I'm sure a manual lathe will be allot easier to set up but they still do a test cut and align the headstock and tail stock before delivering it. As for the free shipping I meant in Calgary.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Well, the latest posts make this a timely update.......

It's a boy! I pulled the trigger on the c0636a over the past week and took my delivery yesterday (free)

I live about 11 minutes straight east from modern, the last set of lights they hit was the ones on 114th ave

Delivery was smoooooooth, took 20 minutes and we put it 5 feet inside the shop

Sales (Daljit ) and delivery (Joe ) were top notch . Alexander is correct, they ran in the machine, did A test cut etc.

I wired it up last night and let it run in various speeds for 20 minutes each, No chips made yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I've added a crane truck to my hoarding wish list btw, damn that was slick.....

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Payment to delivery was 4 days, but it required some flexibility on my part. The delivery team headed out yesterday to Toronto to make drops and pickups along the way, probably out for 7-10 days, which will delay local deliveries

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I mentioned to Daljit that had we not had the demo session, I'd likely have not bought from them, as my impression was that they were industrial only. I said that I figure they lose many other sales to kms/busy bee because of that very impression.

I reccomended another session, perhaps targeted at the machines for the hobbiest that are most in demand such as the band saws , 14x40 lathes and smaller lathes etc.

Sales are sales..... he seemed interested

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Awesome Kevin. It will be interesting to compare notes. First question - how far back does the compound go? Mine seems to stop at center of chuck preventing turning pieces from the back. I can't decide if it's stuck or if that is as far it goes.