• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Looking at DRO for 6x26 knee mill - need advice

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Use Border Bee duty service - they will charge GST plus a small fee of like 15 CAD for the service.

Other DRO offered are these - https://www.banggood.com/23-Axis-Gr...AYYASABEgK7vvD_BwE&ID=534070&cur_warehouse=CN

I would not mind adding a DRO to my old lathe - just need to measure the actual movement distances involved.

DRO on my mill is a joy to use - I used the bolt patter helper and it was awesome - get holes drilled to within about +-0.001 which is the centre finder accuracy. No more reading the dials - no more compensating for backlash. I am thinking that a DRO would significantly improve old machine that is a bit clapped out.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That banggood website is hard to follow. Looks to me $150cdn for the 3 axis display unit and $50cdn and up for the scales. So probably $300cnd when all is said and done. Sound about right?

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I found AliExpress had 10x as many products as Banggood for dro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I actually never yet used Banggood - this seller separates the scales and the unit.

eBay also has good selection and with paypal you are "protected".

Then again aliexpress refunded my mom $50 USD for a camera that never made it. So maybe they are as good as paypal - where you are "protected". Note the quotes.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I placed my first orders with both Banggood and AliExpress this month, for items around 250usd

I have to have faith I guess , got burned twice last year in ebay (100s or purchases over the years ). Funny thing was ebay was unwilling to assist (wanted me to file police report for 75 dollar item). PayPal refunded me immediately after I contacted them and recused myself from eBay . Started using amazon and kbc tools more because of that

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
eBay doesn't care. They simply forwarded you to payment provider - payPal.

PayPal does indeed care but "somewhat" - they have "limits" - they for example will try their hardest not to refund you from their own pocket. They have no issues with refund they can deduct from account of the seller.

I use a lot local auctions and eBay. Obviously aliexpress is the new craze and has been for years through I limited my intake of Chinesium. On occasion Amazon and PA (oil and basic hand tools). I only bought new stuff over the net from places like KBC or Travers few times over the last few years.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Power feed (Banggood ) and dro (AliExpress) both arrived same day. Banggood via Canada post (no duty/taxes), AliExpress via dhl for 27cdn in taxes etc

Installation ensues ....,

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That was quick!

Power Feed...…. what luxury:D

When all was said and done who had the best deal for DROs?

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
My opinion? Price wise it AliExpress by a mile. I paid 215usd and 27cdn for 3 axis

But , does it work and will it last.......

kylemp

My opinion? Price wise it AliExpress by a mile. I paid 215usd and 27cdn for 3 axis

But , does it work and will it last.......

I've had multiple and they worked and lasted. The only issue I had is one of them arrived with the reader head off the glass scale so I had to put it back on. No big deal though.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I’ve had good luck with Aliexpress. There were a few issues but all seem to be honest mistakes. The sellers have always been eager to resolve issues.
My understanding is that Aliexpress holds onto your money until you’ve confirmed receipt or the sale has timed out.

Of course you have to wait and wait for your package to arrive. I received one yesterday that tracking showed to still be in China. DHL shipments have always arrived quickly.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Kevin,

Where are you at with this? Let's see some pics of your DROs and PFs installed.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Power feed was a thing of beauty, it bolted directly on

dro is taking some time , I have all axis mounted but having trouble getting it aligned. Many hours adjusting, readjusting etc.

The Y axis is pretty good but the x seems to be off when compared to a dial indicator . I seem to off 4/10000 per 0.100",

I have a new appreciation for the term parallel

But, i welcome the 3-4 hours per night after doing the day job .

Pictures will be forth coming