• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Logan Model 210 10" x 24" Lathe

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I just went back thru the pictures of the one I had, it did have the BISON sticker on it and I don't think I spent any more than an hour cleaning and honing a few burrs. I agree, even though it's 40 years new, you should not have needed to put that much work into rebuilding a new supposedly decent chuck. I would give Ron a call and explain (nicely) the issue you've had and what it took to make it usable. Who knows, he may offer you some sort of compensation for giving you a Friday/Monday chuck. The 4 jaw took a few hours honing to get smooth but that was just cause I was being picky, it was usable out of the box.
There has been probably a dozen bought in the last couple of years and yours is the first problem I've heard of, not that there haven't been any issues, I just haven't heard of them.
Hope it works out for you.

Don't get mislead by @Susquatch same comments, I have spoken with several importers and distributors which is where I get my info.

Think of it as CHEVY or GM, Dodge or CHRYSLER the list goes on, in some cases even different brands have the same underpinings. It comes down same pig just different lipstick.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I just went back thru the pictures of the one I had, it did have the BISON sticker on it and I don't think I spent any more than an hour cleaning and honing a few burrs. I agree, even though it's 40 years new, you should not have needed to put that much work into rebuilding a new supposedly decent chuck. I would give Ron a call and explain (nicely) the issue you've had and what it took to make it usable. Who knows, he may offer you some sort of compensation for giving you a Friday/Monday chuck. The 4 jaw took a few hours honing to get smooth but that was just cause I was being picky, it was usable out of the box.
There has been probably a dozen bought in the last couple of years and yours is the first problem I've heard of, not that there haven't been any issues, I just haven't heard of them.
Hope it works out for you.
Thanks! Sorry about the whining... :)

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Don't get mislead by @Susquatch same comments, I have spoken with several importers and distributors which is where I get my info.

Think of it as CHEVY or GM, Dodge or CHRYSLER the list goes on, in some cases even different brands have the same underpinings. It comes down same pig just different lipstick.
Well, I only have 2 data points on the toolposts - my OXA direct from China via AliExpress and the AXA from Precision Matthews (also made in China). The design and machining quality looks very similar. I didn't want to wait for the AXA from China, and the prices and availability weren't great when I looked for the AXA on AliExpress anyway. I assumed the quality would be similar from Accusize and PM and AliExpress, so I could freely choose where to spend my money. Interesting factoid- the threads on the AliExpress OXA are metric, the PM AXA is 9/16-18. I have to make a new Logan-friendly AXA post and baseplate since I don't want to hack into the ones that came with the toolpost. I had to do the same for the OXA when I put a block (a.k.a. plinth) on the 7x to replace the compound.
So that's the project for this evening. Throw the change gears for 18TPI on the 7x and make a new post.

Get the best deal you can, for the best quality components possible.

I have also sourced tooling and machines from Shars.

What surprises me is sometimes dollar value defines quality or at times not at all (to the point tge mist expensive is the worst). It is truly buy beware in this hobby.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Made the base plate and post for the AXA. I milled down the (unused) base from my OXA -used the milling attachment on the 7x Vevor. Made a new post. 9/16-18 and M10 x 1.5 from 'mystery steel'. The small end suited the existing hole in the plate.

new post and base.JPG
PM AXA.JPG

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
A few more updates-
Painted the belt cover lid as it was really a mess, but I don't intend to re-paint the rest of the machine.
mini-IMG_1022.JPG

Made a tool height gauge with a magnet in the base
mini-IMG_1023.JPG
Put a handle on a wrench for tightening the AXA (Why don't they come with a wrench/handle?)
mini-IMG_1024.JPG
Made a new belt tensioner post with a knob- easier than reaching back with a stubby slot screwdriver:
mini-IMG_1025.JPG
mini-IMG_1026.JPG
Added a rare-earth magnet to keep the belt cover closed (bent spring latch is missing):
mini-IMG_1027.JPG
BTW, all the stock set of 17 change gears came with the lathe. I had to put the 'slow feed' gears on as the resident set were either thread-cutting or just real fast feed. It's a lot bigger PITA to change gears on the Logan than on the 7x lathe. I had to make/modify a thin wrench to get at the banjo bolts to tighten them. As long as I have the 7x I'll probably use it for most threading anyway because:a) I can run it in reverse safely to thread away from the chuck on RH threads, and b)change gear setups are easier and quicker.

Thazzit for now! :)

I've gotta go and be extra friendly and helpful to my neighbour as he just scored a milling machine! :)

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Don't overtighten you cover as it cause belt issues (generally where they are joined, don't ask how I know).
Thanks.
I am paying attention to the belt tension - actually have to reach under (lathe off obviously) and push up on the belt to check the tension. The tension knob lets me minimize the needed tension, more easily than using the screwdriver adjustment. It's also taking a bit of 'habit-forming' to remember to leave the lid up (releasing flat belt tension) when I'm not actually running the lathe.

Did you use any sort of belt dressing on the 'flat' sheaves or the (leather?) belt?

No dressing, my method was to snug up just till you felt tension in lid, no more. As to relieving tension I never did (I'm going to say about 12 years of solid use).

The friend that bought my model 200 suggested that on the web some users are putting continuous automotive flat belts (requires disassembly) which provides better power transfer and exceptionally long life (in the range of it out lasts you).

If I had kept the lathe and known this it would have definitely been on my upgrade now list.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I was thinking about adding a serpentine belt to the Logan. If there hadn't been a new leather belt included, I probably would have proceeded with that. Pulling the spindle is an intimidating job for me, and the bearing at the chuck end is a very expensive ($500 USD-ish) double race bearing. So as long as the leather belt works OK I'll probably stick with that - leather belts transmitted power in industry for many years. Even hand lacing a belt doesn't look like a very difficult job if a person is accustomed to working with their hands.
About lifting the lid to relieve the belt tension - there are accounts online of old shops where at the end of the day all the machines had the lids up.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Another belt option would be the "glue-up" belts.
Thanks, Mike. Have you used a glue-up belt? Reading online it sounds like getting the tapered overlap correct, and avoiding a hard spot with the glue can be tricky. I think that's the style of belt that Logan sells nowadays. I definitely have options about belting. About belts - I find it surprising how well the motor belt arrangement works - V-belt with V motor sheaves and flat sheaves at the other end, on the countershaft. I have a Powertwist on there and it works just fine with no tendency to slip off the flat sheave.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Have you used a glue-up belt?
No I haven't, at one point I was looking at a flat belt machine that needed the belt replaced. Did some research into replacements and this was one of the options.
Milling up a guide to keep the sides of the belt aligned would be a good way to go.
If I ever do end up with a flat belt machine I would probably go this route.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Ordered an AXA toolpost and 8 holders from Precision Matthews - they arrived today,
Update on the AXA toolpost and toolholders:
Two (of 8) of the AXA toolholders had thumbwheels that wobbled - they were threaded 'crooked'.
I got in touch with Precision Matthews( I attached a video of the wobbling to the email) and asked for new thumbwheels. Within a couple of hours they sent me a tracking number for the package with what I assumed would be replacement thumbwheels.
It arrived today - a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box with two complete new AXA toolholders.
NB- no return of the original ones requested.
So a definite AAA+ on that service from Precision Matthews.
In the interim, I'd made a pair of new (knurled :) ) thumbwheels to replace the defective ones and get those toolholders serviceable, so now my toolholder shelf has two new additions.
I'm a happy shopper.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Also, in today's news on the Logan-
The ER32 collet chuck arrived from the UK.
It comprises an adapter for the 1.5"x8 TPI spindle thread which has a boss to mate with the separate ER32 chuck.
It took a bit of work to get the adapter to screw on smoothly and mate with the spindle shoulder.
After that it was straightforward - some light cuts on the adapter boss to fit to the chuck.
The chuck bolts on to the adapter with 3 M8 socket head screws which needed shortening.
Runout in the ER taper in the chuck is about 0.0005", excellent by my standards.
Price via Ebay was 90UKP ($138 CAD) + $24CAD in tax and CanadaPost fees.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294951856031

mini-IMG_1040.JPG