• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Logan Model 210 10" x 24" Lathe

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Jezz, totally different for me. I've only had GREAT experiences! Even if I buy through Amazon they have totally been there for me.

Ya, sometimes I get someone who has no clue and speaks chinglish but the next step has always been great. Even when it was my fault!
About price matching - they don't even match their own prices, let alone the competition's. Via Amazon -almost free (do you need Prime?) shipping and free returns. Accusize direct - pay shipping and pay for returns.
Sorry about the rant- back to the topic! :)
Spending the morning 'moving stuff so I can move stuff' - next step is putting up some listings on usedvictoria so I can get some 'stuff' outta here so I can buy more 'stuff'...I think the problem is obvious!! :)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
About price matching - they don't even match their own prices, let alone the competition's. Via Amazon -almost free (do you need Prime?) shipping and free returns. Accusize direct - pay shipping and pay for returns.
Sorry about the rant- back to the topic! :)
Spending the morning 'moving stuff so I can move stuff' - next step is putting up some listings on usedvictoria so I can get some 'stuff' outta here so I can buy more 'stuff'...I think the problem is obvious!! :)
Whatcha sellin?
(Like I need more stuff...)

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Whatcha sellin?
(Like I need more stuff...)
Guitar amp speakers- good ones from Weber and WarehouseGuitarSpeakers, a nice little pair of stereo speakers made in the GDR, woodturning calipers (they aren't bulky so don't really create more space, but...), woodturning chisels - those last two came with the Logan. And for free you can have some shop speakers for tesing amps - two spkrs in one box, an empty Fender amp case for a 12" combo, a bunch of carpet protection film, some fire bricks for your brazing/silver soldering station (with free milk crate), etc. etc..... :) and stay tuned for the really big sale of guitar tops/sides and backs later this year. :) Some hobby things are moving into the 'not in this life cycle' division for me. Ask if you need any vacuum tubes or transformers for tube audio projects..

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Exactly why they do price matching!

A while ago, I discovered the mismatch between Amazon and Accusize direct. It got me to thinking.

If accusize has to give Amazon their cut as well as have better pricing than in their own shop, they might be willing to deal with customers who know that.

So I called them on it. They gave me an even better price than Amazon with free shipping and full support (free return shipping, free exchanges, etc) basically, I feel like they split the cost of dealing through Amazon with me. Of course, I'll never know what that ratio was, but I felt it was a great exchange for me. All I had to do was be up front with them about the two costs and they immediately offered to do better than the amazon price. I liked that.

I know, some folks might prefer an up front deal, and they don't do that. But I've always been the kind of guy who haggles over things my wife is embarrassed about. She would readily admit I do ok. On the other hand, the minute I strike that haggle pose she disappears. I generally don't bother haggling over 50 dollars. But you can expect it from me at 100. Except when I know I'm already getting an amazing deal that I better close or lose, I would never give any store anyplace a grand without a big round of haggling.

Accusize are a very predictable vendor. As soon as they know that you know, they get realistic real fast. And they do that in a very friendly way. So I like them.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Accusize are a very predictable vendor. As soon as they know that you know, they get realistic real fast. And they do that in a very friendly way. So I like them.
Interesting! I hate vendors on the internet who treat me like a sucker and give preferential treatment to others. Another reason Accusize won't likely see my money again.
Many years ago, I lived and worked in India, so I know a thing or two about bargaining. There, it's OK. But not here, with a straight retailer online.
For the same reason I will never bother with haggling on Ali Express, or buy from scammers there who list an item for half the fair price and then set the shipping at exorbitant rates.
It's a big complicated world, huh? :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Interesting! I hate vendors on the internet who treat me like a sucker and give preferential treatment to others. Another reason Accusize won't likely see my money again.
Many years ago, I lived and worked in India, so I know a thing or two about bargaining. There, it's OK. But not here, with a straight retailer online.
For the same reason I will never bother with haggling on Ali Express, or buy from scammers there who list an item for half the fair price and then set the shipping at exorbitant rates.
It's a big complicated world, huh? :)

Ya, it certainly is. I think there are a lot of people who think like you and my wife. Maybe the majority.

But I feel like there is no such thing as somebody selling something who isn't trying to get more than they deserve and knows it. If that were not true, you could never offer less on Kijiji. I think the retailers are all the same just they don't want word to get out that you can bargain with them.

Maybe I am my own worst enemy in this. Quite often I take the position that no compromise is no deal and I walk away.

To be honest, I have WAY LESS RESPECT for the shop that couldn't bother to try and keep my business than for the store who won't bargain. But like I said, it's not very often that I can't get a better deal than what is offered. But perhaps that also says something about the world we live in.

A Chinese friend of mine in Shenzhen told me that the folks there laugh at people behind their backs when they pay the asking price. Sometimes I think it might be the same way here. People are people after all.

Someone on here recently said that anytime the seller and buyer are both happy it's a good deal. I liked that.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Brief update:
I made a stocky little cart for my 7x14 lathe and moved it off the ex-cabinetmaking bench (too high, but it's what is there).
Added a layer of 3/4 birch plywood to the bench top. Varnished.
Built some storage under and behind the bench for metal bits n pieces
Chopped the end off a couple of shelves above the bench to make room for the motor/countershaft of the Logan 210 (that part is 20+" high).
Dismantled the lathe (in the back of the VW Wagon) and brought the parts inside, then got a visiting friend to help move the lathe bed into the basement shop.
Re-assembled, checking as I go...
New countershaft- it needs new bushings but they will have to wait.
Lots of cleaning - the previous owner (years ago) used the lathe for woodturning so there was a nice oily coating of fine wood dust pretty much everywhere, which was actually a good thing- there's basically no rust anywhere.
Motor (newer Leeson 1/2 HP) was never aligned with the countershaft pulleys because the motor frame didn't allow it, so I made a 1" thick wood 'adapter plate' to mate the motor with the Logan motor shelf/arm.
Added a Fenner PowerTwist Link belt for the motor drive (I had belting on hand).
Installed the flat leather belt (new-ish lookng) that came with the lathe. Cut off a finishing nail to use as the pin in the connector
Made a new latch for the back gear actuator.

Ordered an AXA toolpost and 8 holders from Precision Matthews - they arrived today, so it looks like the lantern toolpost is coming off the lathe tomorrow. I'm going to sell the lantern toolposts (one regular, one boring bar holder), and the Armstrong toolholders on eBay.

RE: the PM vs Accusize decision - price with shipping was comparable - a bit cheaper from PM, but the main decider was hearing my Grandpa say "Don't throw good money after bad!". Some of those sayings 'stick with you'. :)

Ordered a NOS 3-jaw 'Bison' chuck from HH Roberts in TO- the original 3-jaw is pretty tired and I thought I would 'treat' the lathe to a 'better' chuck. It arrived a few days ago, but I just got it out of the box today. Pretty bad - looked nice and shiny but was almost completely seized up - it took both hands and a bit of muscle to turn the chuck key! Completely dry and adding oil didn't help. What a mess...burrs on every edge, grinding grit everywhere inside. I had to use a bronze drift to get the spiral out. It must have been put together with a press. None of the fits were free enough to allow reasonable movement. Jaws wouldn't slide in their channels, the pinions wouldn't rotate freely in their openings. It's a 3-jaw with the removable jaw 'tops' and I had to use a screwdriver and hammer to separate those parts. It took a good 2 hours of work to get it into a working condition. I should have gotten another San Ou from China (I have several with the 7x lathe, and they are excellent - one of them had some grit inside which I could feel when I turned the chuck key but nothing like the Polish one). An adapter plate from LittleMachineShop would have made the SanOu fit the 1 1/2-8TPI Logan spindle. And it would have been about the same cost - the Bison was just shy of $300 CAD once taxes and shipping were added to the $190 price.
But the Bison is looking serviceable now - I just have to try to get some more of the grit out of the 8TPI threads that mate with the spindle before I use it.

The cover over the countershaft, flat belt and headstock had a mix of no paint- bare metal- and traces of tung oil or varnish, so I got some 'close to original 1941 colour' paint from the local Benjamin Moore store. Colour ID 2119-30 Baby Seal Black. Alkyd enamel which is definitely 'old school' - takes forever to dry. :) I'm not planning to paint much of the lathe. If I were, I'd use a 2K Valspar industrial paint- more rugged and dries/cures quickly.

So I'm 'almost there'...

Brief update:
I made a stocky little cart for my 7x14 lathe and moved it off the ex-cabinetmaking bench (too high, but it's what is there).
Added a layer of 3/4 birch plywood to the bench top. Varnished.
Built some storage under and behind the bench for metal bits n pieces
Chopped the end off a couple of shelves above the bench to make room for the motor/countershaft of the Logan 210 (that part is 20+" high).
Dismantled the lathe (in the back of the VW Wagon) and brought the parts inside, then got a visiting friend to help move the lathe bed into the basement shop.
Re-assembled, checking as I go...
New countershaft- it needs new bushings but they will have to wait.
Lots of cleaning - the previous owner (years ago) used the lathe for woodturning so there was a nice oily coating of fine wood dust pretty much everywhere, which was actually a good thing- there's basically no rust anywhere.
Motor (newer Leeson 1/2 HP) was never aligned with the countershaft pulleys because the motor frame didn't allow it, so I made a 1" thick wood 'adapter plate' to mate the motor with the Logan motor shelf/arm.
Added a Fenner PowerTwist Link belt for the motor drive (I had belting on hand).
Installed the flat leather belt (new-ish lookng) that came with the lathe. Cut off a finishing nail to use as the pin in the connector
Made a new latch for the back gear actuator.

Ordered an AXA toolpost and 8 holders from Precision Matthews - they arrived today, so it looks like the lantern toolpost is coming off the lathe tomorrow. I'm going to sell the lantern toolposts (one regular, one boring bar holder), and the Armstrong toolholders on eBay.

RE: the PM vs Accusize decision - price with shipping was comparable - a bit cheaper from PM, but the main decider was hearing my Grandpa say "Don't throw good money after bad!". Some of those sayings 'stick with you'. :)

Ordered a NOS 3-jaw 'Bison' chuck from HH Roberts in TO- the original 3-jaw is pretty tired and I thought I would 'treat' the lathe to a 'better' chuck. It arrived a few days ago, but I just got it out of the box today. Pretty bad - looked nice and shiny but was almost completely seized up - it took both hands and a bit of muscle to turn the chuck key! Completely dry and adding oil didn't help. What a mess...burrs on every edge, grinding grit everywhere inside. I had to use a bronze drift to get the spiral out. It must have been put together with a press. None of the fits were free enough to allow reasonable movement. Jaws wouldn't slide in their channels, the pinions wouldn't rotate freely in their openings. It's a 3-jaw with the removable jaw 'tops' and I had to use a screwdriver and hammer to separate those parts. It took a good 2 hours of work to get it into a working condition. I should have gotten another San Ou from China (I have several with the 7x lathe, and they are excellent - one of them had some grit inside which I could feel when I turned the chuck key but nothing like the Polish one). An adapter plate from LittleMachineShop would have made the SanOu fit the 1 1/2-8TPI Logan spindle. And it would have been about the same cost - the Bison was just shy of $300 CAD once taxes and shipping were added to the $190 price.
But the Bison is looking serviceable now - I just have to try to get some more of the grit out of the 8TPI threads that mate with the spindle before I use it.

The cover over the countershaft, flat belt and headstock had a mix of no paint- bare metal- and traces of tung oil or varnish, so I got some 'close to original 1941 colour' paint from the local Benjamin Moore store. Colour ID 2119-30 Baby Seal Black. Alkyd enamel which is definitely 'old school' - takes forever to dry. :) I'm not planning to paint much of the lathe. If I were, I'd use a 2K Valspar industrial paint- more rugged and dries/cures quickly.

So I'm 'almost there'...
Sounds like you are having fun with your "new" toy, if I can offer a suggestion, since you already have the rocker tool post and holders, I would hold on to them. I don't use mine very often, but there are times when their more slender design allows you to get into places that a quick change just doesn't want to fit without too much tool stick-out or draped over the edge of the compound just a little too far for comfort.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Just to burst you bubble the PM and Accusize are the Exact same part.
That's exactly the point, though I don't know what proof you have of that statement. Have you bought AXA toolposts from both suppliers?
I've bought from Accusize - I got poor and misleading advice on the product when I called them before purchase, I thought the price was high, and the product (counterbores) is low quality. Nice box, though. And then to boot, I read that if you wheedle with them they will drop their prices for favoured clients. They won't see my money again- I'd rather shop in the States, which says a lot for me, because I'd rather spend my money in Canada.

Last edited:

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Sounds like you are having fun with your "new" toy,
For a lot of folks, a machine that didn't work 'right out of the box' would be a disappointment. Having 'intimate knowledge' of my 7x lathe certainly removed any fear about taking the Logan to bits. :) There's a lot to be said for playing with cheaper things - less stressful!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That's exactly the point, though I don't know what proof you have of that statement. Have you bought AXA toolposts from both suppliers?

Don't let @Degen trap you into a debate of what the same but different means. I've been down that rabbit hole with him before! ;)

It boils down to his definition of the same vs mine. Mind you, we were talking about a full blown lathe at the time.

To eggagerate A LOT to emphasize the point, if they are both AXA tool posts, then they are both AXA tool posts. If one is fatter than the other, it's just a small feature difference and they are both still AXA tool posts.

But I'd wager that what he really means is that they are both made in the same factory to slightly different specs for different customers - one laser etched with PM & the other with Accusize and perhaps different paint or even different screws. That does not make them the same in my books, but it does in his. It's all in the definition of the exact same.... LOL!

In the end, as long as we both know that our definitions differ and we both accept that we are each entitled to our own definitions for such things, then we are both happy and life is good!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Ordered a NOS 3-jaw 'Bison' chuck from HH Roberts
Nice thing with this chuck is that it is on a backing plate, if you sell the Logan you can keep the chuck and adapt it to the new machine.
When I bought my chucks a couple of years ago I think the shipping was around $70 to Victoria. I had to do a clean up as well but it beats paying somebody else a zillion dollars for one, https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/08609893
Don't forget these chucks have been sitting on a shelf for 40 years so a tear down and clean up is to be expected. I'm thinking of getting another one for the RT.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Don't forget these chucks have been sitting on a shelf for 40 years so a tear down and clean up is to be expected. I'm thinking of getting another one for the RT.

What a great idea! How would you attach that to your Rotary Table?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've purchased about $2k of tooling for Accusize and can say any problema and I had one, my fault too, they had no problems in making me a happy customer. Mind you I've been to their office.

My purchases from Accusize are prolly only half that but I'm happy so far too. The few issues I've had (including one that was my fault) were all easily and painlessly dealt with in a phone call.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Don't forget these chucks have been sitting on a shelf for 40 years so a tear down and clean up is to be expected.
There was never any lube in mine, so age makes no difference. Just lot of grinding grit and parts that weren't made to fit and wouldn't move. Knocking it apart and using a Dremel grinder for 30 minutes isn't what I expected to do!

I'm thinking of getting another one for the RT.
You are way more tolerant than me!