• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Logan Lathe Victoria BC - Offers

I couldn't resist the temptation. Sister Agnes from my Grade One class would not approve, I think! I paid $600 - more than the seller was asking, but I wanted to 'seal the deal' before another queue-jumper got there. :)
It's a Logan Model 210 from 1941-42 10" x 24" bench model.

It looks like all the parts/accessories are included, as well as a bunch of other stuff (full jar of HSS tools, + wood turning centers and tools, some calipers, etc ) Flat belt included, though in the pics a link belt was installed. The full set of spare jaws for the 3-jaw is there, too. Old-style toolpost with a bunch of tool holders, including threading tool.

I've downloaded the manual and parts list from vintagemachinery.org What a great site -Google those manuals and they pop up at $25 apiece all over the web. Appropriate donation was made to vintagemachinery.org!

I'll start a new thread about it in a day or so. Just figuring out a bench for it right now. If I take it to pieces I could probably get it into my basement shop where it could elbow one of the 7x lathes out of the way. Gonna do some pondering. :)

Congrats!

600 over asking eh...... I pay over asking sometimes too but only if I know the ask is low and the demand is high. I dunno if I would ever go 600 over! You may have set a new bar for the rest of us with that deal!

Can't wait to follow your thread on it!

Another congrats, I enjoyed the Logan 400 that I had.
I did a teardown, refurb, repaint and mounted it on a HD Husky tool cabinet giving lots of storage.
If you find you need new chucks here is the best deal,
I also have a paint code if you decide to repaint.

Attachments

• P1010575.JPG
    P1010575.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 9
The devil made me do it! :)

It was still 'Sale Pending' but I sent the seller a message anyway. This afternoon I got a reply indicating that the potential buyer couldn't follow through, so I bought it this evening.

So @Degen , @YotaBota and all you other folks with Logan lathe knowledge....brace yourself for a lot of questions! :)

First step is going to be a bench/stand of some sort, then I can get it out of the back of my station wagon.

It is flat belt on top, V belt at the motor which I understand (from a few quick reads on the web) was standard for Logans. I can't spot a model # or serial # on it though, so that's still a mystery.

10" swing From one leg to the other it's about 43 ". Betwen centers (I'm guessing here- tailstock is off right now) around 24" or so?
No Problem, point you in the direction I first started.

http://www.lathe.com/

Little side note, I went for a 24" c/c on the Logan to a 36" c/c on my CX707, foot print wise, the CX707 is lot shallower and just a touch longer (net overall foot print is smaller).

Cheers,

Sorry no, but your head stock that attaches to the bed is fixed, the motor mount and flat belt cover are on 2 pivot pins and rubber mounts.

Look like this.

1658454937530.jpeg
Google it and you shall find pics.

From reading online, I think some folks have replaced that bushing with a "two part" combo - a piece of rubber hose + a rubber washer.

If I had a tank of liquid nitrogen handy, I could just machine new bushings from large rubber stoppers. (3/4OD x 3/8 ID?). :)

Serious, 2 hockey pucks, there cheap if you get used ones, and you get to make lots of shavings.

I made mine with one completely gone. Just helps in isolating motor vibration to the head.

Serious, 2 hockey pucks, there cheap if you get used ones, and you get to make lots of shavings.

I made mine with one completely gone. Just helps in isolating motor vibration to the head.
Hockey pucks seem pretty hard for isolating vibration, but if they did the job, that's what matters.

They lasted (and are still in use) for almost 28 years, which is about how long I had the lathe. The fellow that bought it s still using them. Great thing is the they seem to not be affected by difference solvent's and cutting fluids I've tried over the years.

Back