• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Logan Lathe Victoria BC - Offers

Having had both change gear lathes and QCGearbox lathes over my life, I would never go back to a change gear lathe. I was happy to have one when that was all I had, but, no more!

"I need another project like I need another project"

If some one is actually looking :rolleyes: for a project lathe, I have a 14x40 King Canada with QCGearbox (belt drive, gap bed, made in Taiwan) that I have 90% dismantled but not yet started to rebuild. It needs spindle bearings (only because I removed the existing ones) and a new cross feed screw and nut. I removed the original 2 HP 240V single phase motor and have used it on a large horizontal bandsaw that I'll be putting up for sale, but I have a 3HP 3 phase motor I intended to use with it. Other than that it would be a perfectly usable machine once it's cleaned up and put back together.

Having had both change gear lathes and QCGearbox lathes over my life, I would never go back to a change gear lathe. I was happy to have one when that was all I had, but, no more!

"I need another project like I need another project"

If some one is actually looking :rolleyes: for a project lathe, I have a 14x40 King Canada with QCGearbox (belt drive, gap bed, made in Taiwan) that I have 90% dismantled but not yet started to rebuild. It needs spindle bearings (only because I removed the existing ones) and a new cross feed screw and nut. I removed the original 2 HP 240V single phase motor and have used it on a large horizontal bandsaw that I'll be putting up for sale, but I have a 3HP 3 phase motor I intended to use with it. Other than that it would be a perfectly usable machine once it's cleaned up and put back together.

If it's free with included shipping to Ontario, I'm game for another project......... (Insert photo of shy little barefoot boy drawing circles in the sand with his toes here.)

If not, can we talk about that 3ph 3hp motor? ;)

LOL!!!

I'm speechless......

I'd never go home.
That's what I was saying to my wife. She'd never see me... She didn't complain when I said that...

Here's the floor plan. Metal shop on one side. Wood shop on the other with the Delta table saw on casters so a car could be pulled inside. Although we know that's blasphemy. Cars don't belong inside where toys (I mean tools) are.

$100k wouldn't do it now in Victoria, I think. Friends of my neighbour were quoted ~$10k to rebuild a 4'x10' deck recently.
I think it's low too no matter where you live. Prolly double that.

No excuse for a 10k 4x10 deck other than somebody getting rich off you.

Vancouver lumber prices ought to be lower. So it boils down to time (design, procurement, and labour). I know that contractors in the different cities charge more but that's all pure gouging. They ask whatever people are willing to pay. For a shop like that it would pay to bring in outside labour from elsewhere or better yet - do it yourself.

Just sayin.

Last edited:
up to the middle of the road is ours
Um...In Victoria? Some how I don't think so. Generally a dozen feet or more inward from the edge of the pavement is owned by the municipality. If it's really yours, Quick! Build a toll booth! You'll at least get the traffic going in one direction!
But likely the price tag is $100K?

Dreaming in technicolor. My smaller, one story shop cost nearly that a few years back, and materials costs have doubled or more since then. I do have a small 'clean'(ish) room for electronics, and a small bathroom so it could be more converted into a suite, but I didn't even mud the drywall. (It is a shop.) Do 100% of the work yourself and you might get away with twice that, but I'd be surprised.

No. I just checked the FB listing this morning and noticed the "pending" label.

It would be cool if it is going to somebody who hangs out here.
The devil made me do it! :)

It was still 'Sale Pending' but I sent the seller a message anyway. This afternoon I got a reply indicating that the potential buyer couldn't follow through, so I bought it this evening.

So @Degen , @YotaBota and all you other folks with Logan lathe knowledge....brace yourself for a lot of questions! :)

First step is going to be a bench/stand of some sort, then I can get it out of the back of my station wagon.

It is flat belt on top, V belt at the motor which I understand (from a few quick reads on the web) was standard for Logans. I can't spot a model # or serial # on it though, so that's still a mystery.

10" swing From one leg to the other it's about 43 ". Betwen centers (I'm guessing here- tailstock is off right now) around 24" or so?

It was still 'Sale Pending' but I sent the seller a message anyway. This afternoon I got a reply indicating that the potential buyer couldn't follow through, so I bought it this evening.

So @Degen , @YotaBota and all you other folks with Logan lathe knowledge....brace yourself for a lot of questions! :)

First step is going to be a bench/stand of some sort, then I can get it out of the back of my station wagon.

It is flat belt on top, V belt at the motor which I understand (from a few quick reads on the web) was standard for Logans. I can't spot a model # or serial # on it though, so that's still a mystery.

10" swing From one leg to the other it's about 43 ". Betwen centers (I'm guessing here- tailstock is off right now) around 24" or so?
So it did go to someone who hangs out here :P
Well done!

I couldn't resist the temptation. Sister Agnes from my Grade One class would not approve, I think! I paid $600 - more than the seller was asking, but I wanted to 'seal the deal' before another queue-jumper got there. :)
It's a Logan Model 210 from 1941-42 10" x 24" bench model.

It looks like all the parts/accessories are included, as well as a bunch of other stuff (full jar of HSS tools, + wood turning centers and tools, some calipers, etc ) Flat belt included, though in the pics a link belt was installed. The full set of spare jaws for the 3-jaw is there, too. Old-style toolpost with a bunch of tool holders, including threading tool.

I've downloaded the manual and parts list from vintagemachinery.org What a great site -Google those manuals and they pop up at $25 apiece all over the web. Appropriate donation was made to vintagemachinery.org!

I'll start a new thread about it in a day or so. Just figuring out a bench for it right now. If I take it to pieces I could probably get it into my basement shop where it could elbow one of the 7x lathes out of the way. Gonna do some pondering. :)

I couldn't resist the temptation. Sister Agnes from my Grade One class would not approve, I think! I paid $600 - more than the seller was asking, but I wanted to 'seal the deal' before another queue-jumper got there. :)
It's a Logan Model 210 from 1941-42 10" x 24" bench model.

It looks like all the parts/accessories are included, as well as a bunch of other stuff (full jar of HSS tools, + wood turning centers and tools, some calipers, etc ) Flat belt included, though in the pics a link belt was installed. The full set of spare jaws for the 3-jaw is there, too. Old-style toolpost with a bunch of tool holders, including threading tool.

I've downloaded the manual and parts list from vintagemachinery.org What a great site -Google those manuals and they pop up at $25 apiece all over the web. Appropriate donation was made to vintagemachinery.org!

I'll start a new thread about it in a day or so. Just figuring out a bench for it right now. If I take it to pieces I could probably get it into my basement shop where it could elbow one of the 7x lathes out of the way. Gonna do some pondering. :)
At $600 you got a smoking deal!
Happy to help move it.

Back