• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Locking the table - Long Chang LC-30 mill

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I have one of the early Busy Bee round column mills manufactured by Long Chang Taiwan

I just enabled sensorless flux vector control on my VFD to hopefully increase torque at low RPM

I'm now trying to drill a large hole 1" at very low RPM as a test. The low RPM torque does seem improved, so much so that the table is shifting back and forth over-riding the steppers hold torque. From what what I recall I set the stepper control to only apply partial current when parked to reduce motor heat. that being said I don't think the holding torque will be high enough to hold when I'm doing heavy drilling operations so I need to lock the table.

On the RF-30 mills they have two table locking bolts for the Y-Axis, that are not on the LC30, on my LC30 there is a lock-nutted screw in about the same area, is this for locking? I assumed it was for gib adjustment. Is this a table lock or gig adjuster? Image 1

Now for the X axis, (image 2), I installed a large aluminum L bracket that provides more table surface area for when I machine a large device that I do somewhat regularly and the bracket might be hiding the x- axis lock screws or perhaps not. Any insight would be helpful.
IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0254.JPG

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Do you have a LC30 manual? I can't post mine as it's too large to upload. Appears to me the screws with the nut are your locking screws. The manual is not all that obvious though.

Attachments

• LC15-LC30Manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 4

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not sure if this is helpful or applicable but my old RF-45 had the classic table locks acting against the gib strip. But it had an adjustable (tapered) gib strip (note adjustment screw on the front). The thumbscrew was maybe M6 thread? Maybe they combined non-tapered gib strip (with a series of adjustment grub screws) in conjunction with table lock. Theoretically it should work as long as you back off the lock completely? I've seen other machines where they skipped the lock altogether which is worse IMO.

These gib locks are kind of cheesy at best anyways. I had the same system on my lathe but got fed up. I made a little beveled 'shoe' & inserted into the hole so it acts face to face against the gib dovetail angle when tightened. The stock configuration only sees the upper edge of the set screw. Worse is torqueing it even hand tight can chowder up the strip & physically displace the table during tightening. Not good if you are trying to hold a setting.

Attachments

• J3072x2048-07114_edited-1.jpg
    J3072x2048-07114_edited-1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 5

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Shall try to post my LC15 - LC30 manual here. Doesn't work for me, dang anyways!

Should anyone require a copy of said manual kindly PM me and we''ll go from there.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Shall try to post my LC15 - LC30 manual here. Doesn't work for me, dang anyways!

Should anyone require a copy of said manual kindly PM me and we''ll go from there.

Ya, I had issues posting mine as well. Even zipped I've posted it previously.

Last edited:

slow-poke

Ultra Member

Thanks YYCHM the manual download link works. I actually had a copy, but this copy is better than the one I have. They show the lock screw in the exploded drawing but in the drawing it does not look like it would lock anything. I will lock and report back.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Well I learned a few things today......:)

Those three screws in my original post DO lock the table. Thanks David_R8. I'm still curious are they only for locking or are they also part of the gib adjustment?

Also demonstrates the limitation of a machine this size. With the table locked and a 1" drill in the collet, I did some heavy low speed drilling with my new found torque. An aggressive pull on the z-axis and the quill and to some extent the entire head flexes about the column somewhat.

So for anyone with a VFD that does not have the sensorless flux vector control enabled (assuming your VFD supports SFVC) and would like more low speed torque it really does make a difference. I also noticed that at very low speeds the motor turns more smoothly and just sounds better.

On my Buffalo drill press the original motor was only 1/2HP. When I converted it to 3-phase, I decided to go with a 3/4HP thinking that it should be plenty, if I were to do it again I would use a 1-1.5 HP for those low speed big drill bit operations. I should mention that the belt is in the middle pulley and stays there, if I were to move it to the most torque advantaged groove 3/4HP would likely be plenty I'm just a bit on the lazy side.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here is the LC-30 manual.

Side benefit for me too Craig - Thank you.

As I know you recall cuz you always do...., I have no idea what my mill drill is. But it does look sorta like an RF 30 without the belt cover and with a home-made right side up motor mount.

At some point I'm either gunna fix it up or sell it cuz I just don't use it anymore. Your manual looks quite similar and will help either way.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Those three screws in my original post DO lock the table. Thanks David_R8. I'm still curious are they only for locking or are they also part of the gib adjustment?

My mill/drill has no dedicated lock. Instead, the center Gibb screw has a hand Lever on it to perform that function.

It's very common to have the lock be built into the Gibb adjustment like that.

So to answer your question, they are designed to be Gibb adjustments, but can also be used as a lock by adding a hand Lever to one of them.

trlvn

Ultra Member
With the table locked and a 1" drill in the collet, I did some heavy low speed drilling with my new found torque. An aggressive pull on the z-axis and the quill and to some extent the entire head flexes about the column somewhat.
Yup, any machine has a little 'flex'...RF-30 mills just have a little more! When I was tramming my Craftex, I noticed that if I lifted the head, I could move the dial by at least a thou. To be clear, that's lifting with my hands; maybe 20-30 pounds of force. So I figure a 'spring pass' or two is a good idea...

Craig