• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Locked Cabinets At Canadian Tire

I went to the self checkout at Safeway and the only checkout
available someone had started to check out a few items and left.
I asked the person watching over the checkouts and she said it
looks like someone walked out with out paying, happens all the time.

Locking the cabinet I can tolerate. It’s when they usher you to the cashier.with your purchase They can’t even trust a paying customer? You’d think they could at least hide in the seasonal or something to make sure you made it!

Mine will take them to the cash, and I'm free to keep shopping.

I'm not much of a bleeding heart, if we locked more people up for crimes, we wouldn't have to lock up more merchandise. Stealing stuff with one, or no hands is pretty difficult too.....but that's going back a ways, and we've collectively moved on from that I guess......

I'll understand if this gets nuked as too political, but if we really want to get tough on crime then we need to properly fund education, healthcare and psychiatric programs, social assistance programs, affordable housing, affordable food and a host of other things that make a society healthy. The majority of the people we are putting in jail are the ones who those systems failed. It's hard to get a job if you're homeless, hungry and sick.

I'll understand if this gets nuked as too political, but if we really want to get tough on crime then we need to properly fund education, healthcare and psychiatric programs, social assistance programs, affordable housing, affordable food and a host of other things that make a society healthy. The majority of the people we are putting in jail are the ones who those systems failed. It's hard to get a job if you're homeless, hungry and sick.
I agree 100%, but there needs to be real consequences as well. I saw it first hand when i worked next to a Superstore. They would all take what they want and walk out. Nobody did anything and there were zero consequences for their blatant stealing. They would steal wine, then have a party in the parking lot and go back in for more. Nobody did anything.

Retail theft causes price increases. Raising taxes and minimum wage raises retail prices. We are doing it wrong.

I only get oil filters there and maybe air filter. For all other shopping needs there is Princess Auto that has better prices and rock solid guarantee.

I agree 100%, but there needs to be real consequences as well. I saw it first hand when i worked next to a Superstore. They would all take what they want and walk out. Nobody did anything and there were zero consequences for their blatant stealing. They would steal wine, then have a party in the parking lot and go back in for more. Nobody did anything.

Retail theft causes price increases. Raising taxes and minimum wage raises retail prices. We are doing it wrong.
I mostly agree. The staff at a lot of stores are told to not interfere in case of a theft. Too much liability all around if things go south.
What consequences would work for a homeless, hungry 18 year old? One of my wife's friends was security director at the provincial jail. Every fall there would be a huge influx of new inmates on short term incarceration. You go to the bar and punch out one of your friends, something serious enough to get you into remand for 4 to 6 months. It was called 2 hots and a cot. In other words, better to be in jail for the winter than homeless. 2 hot meals daily and a place to sleep. Regina is a shit place to be homeless in the winter.

Last edited:
I mostly agree. The staff at a lot of stores are told to not interfere in case of a theft. Too much liability all around if things go south.
What consequences would work for a homeless, hungry 18 year old? One of my wife's friends was security director at the provincial jail. Every fall there would be a huge influx of new inmates on short term incarceration. It was called 2 hots and a cot. In other words, better to be in jail for the winter than homeless.

We had a bunch of drama here when a security guard at a Shoppers drug mart stopped a shoplifter using minimal physical force. He ended up getting fired and I believe also charged, The scumbag who was stealing was made out to be the victim and all the snowflakes were up in arms over it.

The 2 hots and a cot story has been going on for 100 years. I was 18 and hungry, so I got a job. I worked my way up through a few $4/hr jobs and kept moving up. There's no excuses for stealing, especially when sock boy is tossing money all over the place. Some people on the system make pretty good money for being too lazy to work. Our economy is a mess and everyone is paying for it, including the ones barely scraping by, not just the middle/upper class.

I was in Tim Hortons last night and watched a guy walk in and take a few napkins he started to walk out then turned around and grabbed all of them including the dispenser that was sitting on the counter I told them but he was gone, I did see the video the next day though.

Back