• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Locked Cabinets At Canadian Tire

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
My 1980 Dremel grinder went to that great Tool Chest In The Sky last week, so today I went out to buy a new one. Canadian Tire have them, but everything made by Dremel is in locked cabinets. So I bought it from Amazon.

Don’t brick&mortar retail shops understand that Amazon offers better pricing and a broader array of products, so maybe they need to make shopping a positive experience and not treat their potential customers as crooks?

And the extra stupid issue is that there are lots of items in the CT store that cost more than the Dremel tool but aren’t behind locked doors.

End of rant.

IMG_4257.jpeg
IMG_4256.jpeg

I feel your pain…….however.
I know a little about this as my wife works at a CT. The locked cabinets are because of theft plain and simple. $1000s per week. You wouldn’t believe what gets stolen. I listen to the rant every day at supper. We live in strange times with strange people.

It just seems like everything is locked up there now, cans of spray paint, all sorts of stuff.
May as well run it like those old Consumers Distributing where nothing is displayed, just walk up to a counter and have someone get it from the back.

Our local CT is the same, most tools are locked and staff is difficult to find. If I need anything, I find it easier to order online for pickup. Don't have to deal with staff, just pull up, pick up then go home.

I feel your pain…….however.
I know a little about this as my wife works at a CT. The locked cabinets are because of theft plain and simple. $1000s per week. You wouldn’t believe what gets stolen. I listen to the rant every day at supper. We live in strange times with strange people.
Yep. Childhood friend/nextdoor neighbour runs a Shoppers Drug Mart in downtown Toronto. Massive theft issues, and efforts to keep staff from getting involved/hurt from trying to intervene.

Don't think of logic or true value. Items are stolen for the ability to be sold on. Neighbor is a theft agent for a major chain. Theft is at an all time high. Like year after year breaking records. How about arresting the same people day after day to have them back to steel again. Stories of the same people being caught twice in one day. It's mind boggling. But sadly it is a sign of the times. Estimates of retail theft are in the billions. Those losses filter down to what we the people pay. Locked cabinets are just the front line.

Do a goo search on retail theft in Canada. Just for fun do one on Cali to see the bottom of the barrel.

Don't think of logic or true value. Items are stolen for the ability to be sold on. Neighbor is a theft agent for a major chain. Theft is at an all time high. Like year after year breaking records. How about arresting the same people day after day to have them back to steel again. Stories of the same people being caught twice in one day. It's mind boggling. But sadly it is a sign of the times. Estimates of retail theft are in the billions. Those losses filter down to what we the people pay. Locked cabinets are just the front line.

Do a goo search on retail theft in Canada. Just for fun do one on Cali to see the bottom of the barrel.
Always like math.

California 2022 250 per 100,000 inhabitants

Red Deer Alberta 2022 1200 per 100,000

I didn’t connect locked cabinets to Marketplace or craigslist, but it makes sense.

But almost as many retail thefts are staff-related as outside actors. 37% of retail shrinkage is outside actors, 28% are staff.

Still doesn’t explain why a $75 Dremel is under lock and key but a $150 Bissel cordless vacuum is on open shelves.

Last edited:
Always like math.

California 2022 250 per 100,000 inhabitants

Red Deer Alberta 2022 1200 per 100,000

I didn’t connect locked cabinets to Marketplace or craigslist, but it makes sense.

But almost as many retail thefts are staff-related as outside actors. 37% of retail shrinkage is outside actors, 28% are staff.

Still doesn’t explain why a $75 Dremel is under lock and key but a $150 Bissel cordless vacuum is on open shelves.
You can put a dremel in your baggy pants pocket.
A Bissel, not so much.

I've long since stopped shopping at Canadian Tire...the closest one to me is just so junky, the customer service is completely gone, and the warranty on mastercraft isn't worth its weight in Canadian Tire money, there's just no point.

There is a highschool beside our local Can Tire. Everything of value is locked up, and they have to walk you up to the front or will take it there if you still need to shop. Annoying, ya, but I can't say I blame them. I've seen a group of kids walk into the dollar store beside it and walk right out with a pop and chocolate bar each without paying. Employees just shrugged their shoulders, and nobody else seemed at all concerned about it. What a world.

I've long since stopped shopping at Canadian Tire...the closest one to me is just so junky, the customer service is completely gone, and the warranty on mastercraft isn't worth its weight in Canadian Tire money, there's just no point.
Same here, on top of that their 50% off sales is usually about the same as PA regular price.

This actually happened to me.... I needed to get something from a locked cabinet after a lengthy search I found what looking like a 16 YO kid that looked really disheveled and hung-over. I asked if he could unlock the cabinet, his response " ya know I have a lot on my mind today, can you find someone else?"

My best guess was that his girlfriend dejour just told him she was pregnant.

Last edited:
You bought one already but I was going to suggest Milwaukee in cordless as an option. I already had M12 batteries so made decision easier to try one. Very pleased, would buy another. It gets a daily workout. My Dremel variable speed knob slider lost its 'variable' pretty early in the game. Can happen with any tool but rather annoying.

Locked cabinets. And at the same time.... the trend is toward self-checkout (at least at grocery stores) where scanning items is more or less on the honor system. (Yes I know the have cameras etc, but apparently people still get away with it...)

There is a highschool beside our local Can Tire. Everything of value is locked up, and they have to walk you up to the front or will take it there if you still need to shop. Annoying, ya, but I can't say I blame them. I've seen a group of kids walk into the dollar store beside it and walk right out with a pop and chocolate bar each without paying. Employees just shrugged their shoulders, and nobody else seemed at all concerned about it. What a world.
In this new wonderful sunny, post nation state we are stuck in, there are no penalties for theft, very little for murder. But express an opinion counter to narrative and the shock of micro aggression and cancel culture, and firing is impressive.
A thief is considered a victim, a drug addict has a health issue:rolleyes:

Ordered yesterday at 4:00 PM, on my doorstep when I got up this morning. Not grey market, sealed factory packaging, shipped from Robert Bosch in Ontario. Made in Mexico, not China. If there was a real hardware store in Richmond I would have bought local, but the very minor ethical difference between buying from CT or Amazon doesn’t justify the aggravation of dealing with CT.

The Amazon driver is earning $19/hour, the CT kid is earning $17. (Glass Door surveys)

Back