• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Life transition

Is your skillset deemed as replaceable with AI?
Not really. I'm a privacy and security wonk combined with a large dose of business system and process design, contract negotiation and policy interpretation thrown in. I have an MBA so I'm one of those that most people deride 🙂
 
It sounds like the management itself is likely short of experience, knowledge and skills!
Yup, that's the part that makes no sense to me. And my skillset is smack dab in the middle of one of the new business areas they want to establish. <Shrug>
 
Third generation and nearing retirement, I have successfully avoided wealth and good fortune thus far and am probably too dumb to notice anyway. 🙄


...... but, on a good day I can still lift heavy things. 😛
You're beating me, dang it, it also appears that you're better looking too.
And don't let the last comment go to your head... I'm one ugly dude.
 
Third generation and nearing retirement, I have successfully avoided wealth and good fortune thus far and am probably too dumb to notice anyway. 🙄


...... but, on a good day I can still lift heavy things. 😛
Wealth and fame are overrated. I'd prefer to work in an industry where the general public hates me, law enforcement likes to bend me over, businesses won't allow me bathroom access and I'm expected to drive 100 mph in all types of weather

But you get to see some cool things and meet some cool people. Even the dirty westerners 😛

One member has said I'm the only person from the east he's let in his front door 😀
 
Not really. I'm a privacy and security wonk combined with a large dose of business system and process design, contract negotiation and policy interpretation thrown in. I have an MBA so I'm one of those that most people deride 🙂
Sounds like you would make an excellent privacy commissioner.
But unfortunately for another province.
 
We are rock stars when they show up just as we are finishing cleaning up a big a avalanche, but we are the line blocking turd in @jcdammeyer 's sewer line when we stop them so we can blow one down.....
......
Speaking of whom........ since you're kinda not busy @DavidR8, John could use a hand..

IMG_0485 (1).gif
Wealth and fame are overrated. I'd prefer to work in an industry where the general public hates me, law enforcement likes to bend me over, businesses won't allow me bathroom access and I'm expected to drive 100 mph in all types of weather

But you get to see some cool things and meet some cool people. Even the dirty westerners 😛

One member has said I'm the only person from the east he's let in his front door 😀
 

Attachments

Yup, that's the part that makes no sense to me. And my skillset is smack dab in the middle of one of the new business areas they want to establish. <Shrug>

Sounds like a consulting job might be about to open up at 4x the pay.....
 
Sounds like you would make an excellent privacy commissioner.
But unfortunately for another province.
Hilariously I know one of the former privacy commissioners of BC. And her son was one my wife's students.
 
David,

Sorry to hear about that. These are definitely strange times. Many moons ago we sold the 2rd start-up that I was involved with. At that point thinking of working for someone just didn't appeal to me so I started a consulting gig and did that for about 12 years. No regrets. Perhaps that's an avenue.
 
David,

Sorry to hear about that. These are definitely strange times. Many moons ago we sold the 2rd start-up that I was involved with. At that point thinking of working for someone just didn't appeal to me so I started a consulting gig and did that for about 12 years. No regrets. Perhaps that's an avenue.
Thanks Jeff, that's definitely an option I'm exploring. I did consult to the province for about a year when I first moved here so it's a gig I'm sorta familiar with.

Definitely looking at all options at the moment.
 
Back
Top