• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Life transition

@jorogi unfortunately there's no e-Bug project any longer. I decided to shelve that project when I learned of the layoff. It just didn't make sense to take it on.
Ya right, in six months (or less) you'll be caught up on all those projects you have now and will be wishing you'd kept the e-bug project! LOL

Congrats, all the best on your impending retirement.
 
Congrats on beating the game. Enjoy it!

We aren't here to work our entire lives to generate profit either for ourselves or others. We're here to build, create, travel, explore, converse, enjoy. The older I get the more I am convinced we lives our lives entirely backwards to the way we should. The minute I have enough nuts squirreled away to last the rest of my days I'm out. Still at least 15 years away for me, but believe me, I can't wait....Always happy when I see others get the chance. Congrats!
 
Yesterday afternoon I went for beers with two fellows from work. Solid blokes, we see things pretty clearly. They are both really disillusioned with the state of affairs. They see a lot of "yes" people who are only interested in getting ahead instead of doing what's right. That's been my observation for the past 3 or 4 years as well.
The general consensus is that I dodged a bullet and managed to get a decent chunk of change in the process.
Onward and upward!
Bitter sweet no doubt. Enjoy what life has to offer. I also retired early, but I realized retirement wasn't a final decision. I'm enjoy it now, but if it becomes no fun I can always go back to work in whatever capacity I want. I'm guessing you are in the same situation. But I'm also guessing pretty quick you will very quickly have no time to work because you're having too much fun.
 
Hey David...just got caught up on all the goings on here...
Congrats but sort of not congrats given the circumstances...
Awesome to see the outpouring of support and comparable situations offered by the membership here
Gives a fella some hope that the days are in fact a little brighter comin' up...
Good to hear you've got some time to ponder, and some cash flow to ponder projects with
 
I was curious about current cost of TIG evening class at SAIT (Calgary). Looks like $775 for ~30 hours. I took it quite a few years ago when it was under $500. Super nice facility, same as where the trades are trained. Either I'm getting old or education is getting expensive.

1764350285142.png
 
Yup. Got an email this morning that the course opened up. I can MIG but I'd like some actual instruction.
Cool. I could use that too. Last college course I took was gas welding at NAIT many many many years ago. When does the course start and how much?
Edit: Yikes. $1160.
 
Happy to chat via PM 🙂

Which IT are you? Programming maybe? Work in that area seems to have collapsed. I also have no idea what to do. I am too far away from retirement. Forecasts are that it will keep to be a dead area for the next year at least if not much longer. Only area that seems to be growing is AI. It is going so far as to get people to quit studying computer science... Pay is dropping drastically as well - like by half. It is the whole area related to computers minus AI.
 
Which IT are you? Programming maybe? Work in that area seems to have collapsed. I also have no idea what to do. I am too far away from retirement. Forecasts are that it will keep to be a dead area for the next year at least if not much longer. Only area that seems to be growing is AI. It is going so far as to get people to quit studying computer science... Pay is dropping drastically as well - like by half. It is the whole area related to computers minus AI.
Strictly speaking I'm not in IT but have always been adjacent to it. My primary focus over the past five to ten years has been in the privacy and security work.
 
Back
Top