• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Leaf springs circa 1953

Matt_b_m

Two rear leaf packs from a 1953 GMC 3Ton. Moving and I’ll never use them.

Are they worth something to you guys? I’d rather they go to a hobbiest than a scrapper. I have no clue what the steel is or if they are any value to the knife making folks.

Let me know if there is an interest. I’m in SE Calgary.

Thanks

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Got a picture?

I would imagine leaf springs would be some type of spring steel, but that's truly just a guess. haha.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Matt what part of town are you in? Perhaps a forum member who ends up close could grab them for distribution at the next meet up? I’d like one or two leafs as well. Heat treatable steel I think?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I'm no expert....but I did make a few knifes in a previous life and remember that although spring steel can often be of the right composition for a good blade, the internal stress on the structure of the steel can often come out after heat treating a blade (as in cracks). And that only becomes apparent after you've done all the hard shaping and finishing work on the blade.
Don