• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Lathe Storage

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not sure how I can help with measurements.

Great history. Explains a lot.

I am a firm believer in testing to validate theory and simulation. I'm working on an alignment test bar that will be much longer than the traditional bar described in your Southbend documentation. The idea is to improve testable accuracy as well as to be able to do alignments even when the ways are well worn. I can do the math to simulate the situation but I can't validate the worn ways situation without worn ways.

This work is a project that seems to be unfolding over a very long period of time. Too many competing priorities. So the truth is that said measurements may be a year away or more. But when and if I get there, it would be good to have someone I could call on to do a few measurements for me. Nothing onerous. Might not ever happen. Might not even need it. Just making a note of the fact that you have such a machine and be open to such a request is enough for now.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Great history. Explains a lot.

I am a firm believer in testing to validate theory and simulation. I'm working on an alignment test bar that will be much longer than the traditional bar described in your Southbend documentation. The idea is to improve testable accuracy as well as to be able to do alignments even when the ways are well worn. I can do the math to simulate the situation but I can't validate the worn ways situation without worn ways.

This work is a project that seems to be unfolding over a very long period of time. Too many competing priorities. So the truth is that said measurements may be a year away or more. But when and if I get there, it would be good to have someone I could call on to do a few measurements for me. Nothing onerous. Might not ever happen. Might not even need it. Just making a note of the fact that you have such a machine and be open to such a request is enough for now.
Love to help any way I can. Just ask.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Gents, its Corliss with an "O".

corliss-1300x870-1.jpg

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Agreed, they are neat engines. Its the valve gear that make it a Corliss and there is so much going the make an interesting engine to watch.

You've got a few options to build one, there may be more, but these are the ones I'm aware of. They're a more involved build, but like everything we do, one way or another is just series of set ups and cuts

Coles used to have a nice kit, but they seem to have imploded. The drawings are still out there. Coles fairly drastically shortened the length of the connecting rod to create a smaller footprint which makes it less prototypical looking but still a great looking model. Casting sets do come up occasionally

lf

Then there is the Arnold Throp Corliss, a handsome model with castings available from Southworth. http://www.southworthengines.com/engines/mill-engines/corliss-valve-engine/. To look at the Throp engine in more detail, this chap JD Wall likes to redraw these engines https://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Corliss_drawings.html. It would be the one I'd go for, very prototypical looking! (if I didn't already have the giant (13" flywheel) shown above in B&W that needs finishing.)

phpThumb.php

Lastly, there is the MEM Corliss. A great look engine and its a bar stock bar stock so the build is a little easier and a lot less expensive! See the last post here for drawings. Its an open source thing from the good folks at the forum.

407mw0O.jpg

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Yes. It was the MEM Corliss that he built. In the model builders forum he's 'woodguy'. His suggestion was buy all the screws and nuts first before you start so you know what sizes the holes are.