• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Lathe Screw Cutting Clutch

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I was just reading about one of those.... cool to see it in motion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very nice setup indeed! Thanks for posting the link @PeterT .

The Colchester has most of the components required for a dog clutch already built into the head stock, I noticed after studying how theirs works. Hmm, tempting to just modify it...
A7F25067-DE63-4F94-8E99-53B8538B5724.png
The way the power feed works right now is the spindle needs to be stopped to slide the feed gear (part # 71426) from FWD to the REV position.
If I made two new 43T gears which were in constant mesh with one, the spindle and two, the inter-reverse shaft gear, then the dog clutch could slide between the two of them and engage / disengage the reverse shaft without having to stop the spindle.... The new gears would be free turning on the reverse shaft and only the clutch would be splined to that shaft.
A shaft with settable stops along the bed, activated by the carriage, and a linkage back to the feed engage lever would complete the mod....

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
talented designer (Graham Meek)
http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Meek_screwcutting_clutch.html

implementation example
Well I"l be darned ! That's awesome. And something is finally done on equipment similar to mine! However I have a factory carriage reverse lever in the position hes got his gizmo in so I doubt I can do with mine without the loss of that. Very nice to see tho, thanks for the link Peter. I had seen several of that fellows other mods before but never that one!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Just in case anyone is interested this project was in “ The Home Shop Machinist “
Jan-Feb part one and Mar-April part 2 in 2015 by Jim Schroeder
It’s about 20 pages long. 05705547-AB00-4DB0-B7DB-B12D4728A09A.jpeg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just in case anyone is interested this project was in “ The Home Shop Machinist “
Jan-Feb part one and Mar-April part 2 in 2015 by Jim Schroeder
It’s about 20 pages long.View attachment 4186
Yes I've been trying to figure out how to get a copy of the magazine. It looks like I have to call the publisher.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oooo that would be great, but don't say that too loud the copyright police will be after us.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well I have it in pdf format in my email account, I had to load it one page at a time or it screwed up the order but it worked, send me your email hopefully they will be in order!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well I have it in pdf format in my email account, I had to load it one page at a time or it screwed up the order but it worked, send me your email hopefully they will be in order![/QUO
Awesome! I will see if I can message you my email address.

lgj1962

Anyone have that article still flooding around somewhere, I just caught word about it myself...better late than never?