• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Large scale Tourbillon

LOL thanks, there's always one that doesn't get it! It's what ever you want it to be! My primary hobby is reel making, I love to fish, I like Tourbillons, Bingo! Desktop ornament! My thought is if you don't challenge yourself you don't grow!
Went back and read your into to the project, and I do get it...my apologies. Wonderful work.

WOW! This could be a series in HSM. Except it's so far above anything anyone else could do.

My average tolerance is larger than the head on those screws.

Beautiful. You have something there the great grandkids will fight over.

Next came the jewels. Sourcing them in the size I needed wasn't easy but I found a company in Boston the makes custom sized synthetic ruby and sapphire jewels. I machined bezels for them to make it easier to seat them.

52586398377_7515abab04_z.jpg

52587391838_418717ac52_z.jpg

52586875531_20e35d7fa0_z.jpg

52586398242_a80c7eddfb_z.jpg
I've never thought about machining bezel settings for gemstones. All my silversmithing is soldered, other than flush set stones that sit in a hole grinded with a dimond burr.
I have a lot of patience to complete long projects like this, but the complexity of this project would take me hours to work out before fabricating, and assembling the parts without error.

Back