• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Large scale Tourbillon

Amazing. I am truly in awe. What an amazing example of craftsmanship taken to artistry.
How in the world did you manage to part off these tiny little gears without bending the teeth in the process.
51877265789_20a55c9642_z.jpg

51877590520_088cdee667_z.jpg

So many subtle challenges. Wow.

This is a step above what I ever hope to accomplish with my machining. Hats off.

I know some professional machinists, and I doubt any of them could pull this off.

Sir, how many hours do you have into this project?
What will you do with this, will you sell it?
Its one hell of an art piece

Sir, how many hours do you have into this project?
What will you do with this, will you sell it?

Thanks wmetfab!

In total I estimate about 300 hours, given that I had such a learning curve to understand how it worked in the first place, combined with having to make tools first. I've had many offers from reel collectors to buy it but it's something I thought would look nice on my desk so that's were it will stay.

300hr x $40/hr = $12,000

Nice desktop ornament!

Good thing that is not why you did it!

I bet we all do stuff that takes many many hours like that! I know I do! Too bad we can never get paid for it.

Ok, it is a wonderful creation and worthy on many levels, but I just don't understand...Is it a clock? a fishing reel? certainly a desk ornament. Is there a reason to have a clockwork mechanism in a fishing reel?

I’m new to this site. New too to machining. But I must say I am surprised to see any reference to the dreaded “how many hours?”.
If that were a criterion for my metal working, I’d go back to my ‘job’ where I made substantially more than minimum wage and could afford to pay someone to just do it for me. And I’d learn nothing.

I get a kick out of people who say “you could probably sell that for $X.”. They obviously don’t realize that would mean I’d make less than $1/hour…,

300hr x $40/hr = $12,000

Nice desktop ornament!

Good thing that is not why you did it!

I bet we all do stuff that takes many many hours like that! I know I do! Too bad we can never get paid for it.
You are correct, I did it for the challenge and the love of machining.

With that said, the offers I received to buy it ranged from 10 - 12G and I'd have gotten that if my intent was to sell it. Custom reel collectors are a crazy bunch and most have a common trait not unlike watch collectors, no kids left at home, high paying jobs and loads of indispensable cash.

Ok, it is a wonderful creation and worthy on many levels, but I just don't understand...Is it a clock? a fishing reel? certainly a desk ornament. Is there a reason to have a clockwork mechanism in a fishing reel?
LOL thanks, there's always one that doesn't get it! It's what ever you want it to be! My primary hobby is reel making, I love to fish, I like Tourbillons, Bingo! Desktop ornament! My thought is if you don't challenge yourself you don't grow!

Jokes I you. I work for free. I only go to work for the friendship and comradery.
Lol
LMAO, well that's what I did! Worked for 35 years and I considered it a craft session mixed with social hour! If it weren't for pesky customers getting in the way of my social time, wanting their stuff I'd still be there. I retired at 52 a few years ago.

Back