Kijiji lathe

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Unfortunately the YAM I was looking at was a 'toolmaker' version and the cast iron stand itself was over a ton. I do get great deals in transportation: My 3800 lb mill cost under 700$ from Richmond, with tailgate delivery (and most tailgates are only rated to 3000 lbs)...

However the threshold for good price is about 2 tons. For a 3 ton lathe (6800# actually) I'd have to hire a 'heavy hotshot' service for just over $2000 from Edmonton. The worst quote was $3500.

--Please realize I had only one day to make a choice on transportation, and when I passed on the lathe it was sold 4 hours later. The really big atraction was the precision chucks: they were both 12" and worth the price of the lathe alone. I also don't have the room for a 60" bed in my garage with all the other stuff. so I passed.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah 3t is a bit new ball game vs. 2t - 2t is a limit for most small cranes and lifts including pallet jacks. It is also on the limit for many smaller forklifts.

Also 3t implies bigger trailer etc.

I would have the means to move the lathe with rented trailer but unloading it is a bit of an issue.

There are multiple crane services in Calgary. It was around 700 to move few machines off an on a trailer - for single one I think it should be no more than $400 it take it off - I mean literally just 1h of work most of it for the crane to drive over, lifting machine off and placing it on some rollers would not take that long.

I could easily fit the lathe in my shop oven bigger ones but the pain of having to deal with moving X, moving Y etc. is quite real.